Cassette slipping, help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
On the outer nut you should be able to get away with a 17mm open ended spanner, or even, whisper...an adjustable spanner:blush:

I have an adjustable spanner. It was an apprentice made piece from the 1950's (not by me!). There is no play in the jaws and the adjusting screw thread is fairly fine allowing very precise adjustment. It is a lovely tactile bit of work and feels good when using it. I do use it on cone locknuts.

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Update for those interested, I took it to n small LBS close to work. He isn't specialized but when he saw it he straight away mentioned what you guys had said about the unusual hub. The place was busy but I take that as a good sign, Ive never seen it empty.

He called today and said its f**ked, from what I can tell the hub has sheared the metal off the wheel so it has nothing to grip to. He gave me a few options but Ive plumped for a rebuild, he will build a new wheel on the existing rim and put a shimano hub on it. Hopefully be back on the road on the weekend ^_^

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Excellent! Let us know how it goes
Well I finally have it back, it was finished on Monday but they lost my number so I phoned and picked it up today. We couldn't remember if I had brought it with the quick release so he threw one on for me. Its now rebuilt and has a shimano hub, it looks good, will test it tonight ^_^

Cost me £30 which I was pretty pleased with as he quoted more, maybe he follows the Scotty estimate theory.

He showed me the old hub, inside there were little notches like solder which he said the free hub grips, they had all sheered off.

Top Bottom