Cassette spacing query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DooDah

Veteran
Hi all,

I currently have an SRAM PG950 12-26T cassette on my compact bike. I am finding the hills around me a little tough, I can manage them but I could do with a couple of lower gears at times. The hills range from about 5% to (some very short stretches) of 13% gradient. Wiggle are currently selling the same SRAM cassettes relatively cheaply, but I am not sure what to go for 11-32 or 11-34? As I am fairly new to all this I am not sure the difference I would find, both in the hills or in general riding over my existing 11-26.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
It will depend on your dereileur what you can run. I'm pretty sure you would need a medium if not long cage derailleur for a 34T cassette. for 32T the debate is not clear to me yet. Some people say that a standard cage would be sufficient I tend to think you need a medium cage. I have a 32T on one bike with a medium cage derailleur and I cannot see how a standard dereilleur would be compatible.

If you can do the hills with a 26T, even when you find it hard, a 34T would be wasted I think. So you need to think that either a 28T (standard derailleur) or 32T is the cassette you need.

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
Thanks for the info. The bike it is for is a Boardman Race with Sora derailleur, not sure at all on the cage size. The cassette I was thinking is only available in 12-26, 11-32 or 11-34. Is there another cassette I could buy with 28T that you would recommend?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Sram 950 (9 speed) cassettes also come in 11-28, alternatively I have been running a BBB 12-27 9 speed cassette, the ratios on the BBB cassette seems more linear than the Sram 11-28, but the Sram 11-28 seems more logarithmic in the way it increases it's tooth count on it's sprockets across the cassette.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Thanks for the info. The bike it is for is a Boardman Race with Sora derailleur, not sure at all on the cage size. The cassette I was thinking is only available in 12-26, 11-32 or 11-34. Is there another cassette I could buy with 28T that you would recommend?
I would guess your current cage is short and a 27t or 28t would be the biggest you can go without buying a new derailleur. FWIW, I bought a Ultegra cassette (10 spd though) which was 11-28 which worked fine with my 5700 (105) short cage.

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
I would guess your current cage is short and a 27t or 28t would be the biggest you can go without buying a new derailleur. FWIW, I bought a Ultegra cassette (10 spd though) which was 11-28 which worked fine with my 5700 (105) short cage.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I probably think i will stick with what I have then. The other options i seem to have are to change to a triple or just MTFU, I am thinking the later unfortunately:heat:

Top Bottom