Cassette spining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2good

Hi

The cassette on my road bike has started spinning both ways. I believe it's the freehub?

I took of the cassette and cleaned the hub and squirted some lube into the hub.

All fine, went for a ride and its doing the same again?

Do i need to replace it?

Thanks

compo

Veteran
Yes.

Broadside

Guru
What wheel set is on the bike? If it is low end stuff (like it was on mine and I have Sora too) then you are probably better replacing the wheels. If they are great wheels with rims that have lots of wear left then you might want to try and sort the freehub out.

You can get Shimano R500 budget wheels for around £70-85 depending where you shop.

OP
OP

2good

Hi the wheels are Giant Sport Road CR, Double Wall
Shimano hub

Ive stripped back the hub and cleaned it all out... Its still spinning in both directions

I didn't take the freehub off, would doing this help?

am i just aswell buying a new feeehub?

How do i know which one to buy?

Thanks

Hi the wheels are Giant Sport Road CR, Double Wall
Shimano hub

Ive stripped back the hub and cleaned it all out... Its still spinning in both directions

I didn't take the freehub off, would doing this help?

am i just aswell buying a new feeehub?

How do i know which one to buy?

Thanks

If its still spinning both ways and is a shimano one then its very likely to be broken. Removing it is simple, just take the rear axle and bearings out, then get a big allen key and undo it. It may be quite stiff but its straight forward enough. You cant really service the freehub except for cleaning/lube.

Buying a new one is an option, have a quick look online to see how much you can get one for and then compare this to the cost of a new wheel. You need to take into account bearing/cup/condition, value of current wheel and current rim wear...

All in, its pretty straightforward. Just balance the cost of fixing to the cost of replacing!

Top Bottom