Cassette - teeth range - (10 speed tourer with triple chainring)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smuggs

Going into retirement disgracefully!
Hi fellow cycle aficionados!
Looking for some advice on upping the range of my rear 10 speed cassette on my touring bike.
currently have a triple chainring with 52/39/30 ratio and a 12-27 cassette.
I’m finding that when fully loaded, I‘m really struggling on the 10% plus hills ( of which there are plenty in Cornwall!)
Can I keep the same chainring setup, but increase the rear cassette to say 11- 32. Would the gears need to be re- indexed?
Thanks Smuggs.

vickster

Legendary Member
What rear mech do you have? May need to extend or replace. Plus new chain

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

What rear mech do you have? May need to extend or replace. Plus new chain

Hi Vickster and thanks for the reply. I’ve got a Shimano Deore XT rear mech. I would normally change the chain when changing cassette.

Sharky

Guru
The only benefit for the hills is the switch from a 27t to a 32t.

If you go for an 11-32 cassette, then there will be wider gaps in the middle and you might lose a sweet spot on the not so hilly roads.

Try something with a larger small cog, then you will be more likely to preserve the middle ratios.

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

The only benefit for the hills is the switch from a 27t to a 32t.

If you go for an 11-32 cassette, then there will be wider gaps in the middle and you might lose a sweet spot on the not so hilly roads.

Try something with a larger small cog, then you will be more likely to preserve the middle ratios.

Thanks Sharky, so would you recommend keeping the 12 small ring and maybe only going to say 30?

Sharky

Guru
Thanks Sharky, so would you recommend keeping the 12 small ring and maybe only going to say 30?

Just tried googling for you and could not find many options. A lot are out of stock.

To help with the hills you need something bigger than the 27t you currently have, then go for anything bigger than an 11t for the smallest sprocket.

52x12 is a massive gear. I used to race on a 52x14 and that was large enough.

Good luck

presta

Guru
Thanks…did you mean the bike model number or the rear mech?

Deore is just the name of the series, lots of different mechs carry the same name. It should have a part number stamped on it with a format like 'RD-M530' or some such. With that you can lookup the specification, and find its maximum sprocket size and maximum capacity.

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

Deore is just the name of the series, lots of different mechs carry the same name. It should have a part number stamped on it with a format like 'RD-M530' or some such. With that you can lookup the specification, and find its maximum sprocket size and maximum capacity.

Ideal thanks Presta … I’ll do that👍

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

Just tried googling for you and could not find many options. A lot are out of stock.

To help with the hills you need something bigger than the 27t you currently have, then go for anything bigger than an 11t for the smallest sprocket.

52x12 is a massive gear. I used to race on a 52x14 and that was large enough.

Good luck

Thanks very much Sharky, that’s very helpful and appreciated👍

Top Bottom