Cassette - teeth range - (10 speed tourer with triple chainring)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I swapped my 3 front rings to 48/38/26 to match the steps the front derailleur needed to run (sweetly), my wife's bike would run 48/38/24 and the only difference being chainstay length from what I could tell (BB drop too?).

Chislenko

Veteran
I have a 52-42-30 with a 12-28 (only 8 speed) and must admit with each year that passes I am more and more thinking of "making life easier"

But must admit I would go about it the way some have suggested by changing the front rings to something smaller. The 52 gets very little use nowadays!

GuyBoden

Guru
I don't agree that its easier to get off and push, or slower, for that matter. But as I don't walk well, even supported by the bike, I'd rather spin!

I can spin up most hills on my 24-34-44T front triple and 12-42T cassette. I rode up a few 25% gradients this year, but very, very slowly.

My main summer bike has a 28-38-48T front triple and 12-42T cassette, I rarely use the 28T front around Cheshire.

My winter bike has a 22-32-42T front triple and a 11-40T cassette, I do like a bit of easy off road riding around Delamere forest, I prefer to spin than walk in the mud, but if other riders prefer to walk that's fine too.

You may have guessed that I ride very slowly.:okay:

Sharky

Guru
around Cheshire
I seem to recall a little hill climbing out of Frodsham up to the Helter Skelter. Used to ride up that, then down thru Delamere west to east and home again. Have you ridden up that hill? My old club used it for their annual hill cimb championship.

Edit:
Showing my age now. Just googled that the Helter Skelter was demolished in 1977! Must have been 1969, the last time I rode up that hill.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I can spin up most hills on my 24-34-44T front triple and 12-42T cassette. I rode up a few 25% gradients this year, but very, very slowly.

My main summer bike has a 28-38-48T front triple and 12-42T cassette, I rarely use the 28T front around Cheshire.

My winter bike has a 22-32-42T front triple and a 11-40T cassette, I do like a bit of easy off road riding around Delamere forest, I prefer to spin than walk in the mud, but if other riders prefer to walk that's fine too.

You may have guessed that I ride very slowly.:okay:

Now there's a sensible person!

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

Going into retirement disgracefully!
Deore is just the name of the series, lots of different mechs carry the same name. It should have a part number stamped on it with a format like 'RD-M530' or some such. With that you can lookup the specification, and find its maximum sprocket size and maximum capacity.

Hi Presta, you were close, it is fact a ‘RD-M761’ model. I looked it up and apparently it can take up to 36”.
I really wanted 12 - 32 cassette but can’t find that in a Shimano, although they do a 11-32 which may be fine. SRAM do a 12-32 but not sure if that is compatible?

Chislenko

Veteran
Hi Presta, you were close, it is fact a ‘RD-M761’ model. I looked it up and apparently it can take up to 36”.
I really wanted 12 - 32 cassette but can’t find that in a Shimano, although they do a 11-32 which may be fine. SRAM do a 12-32 but not sure if that is compatible?

I have fitted SRAM cassettes in place of Shimano as they were cheaper. Didn't have any problems.

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

Being hopeless on hills, the first thing I did when I got my ten speed triple was to replace the smallest chainring (30 tooth) with something smaller. I think it was a 28 or maybe a 26. What you need to do is find out the bolt circle diameter of your smallest chainring and then buy a smaller replacement that fits . The Shimano technical documents will give you all sorts of advice about number of teeth allowable but you can push the tooth numbers a bit if you are feeling naughty/desperate.

Spa Cycles usually have good stocks of replacement chainrings. Lookee here.........https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s0p0/Drivetrain
Great advice …thanks very much!

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

I have a 52-42-30 with a 12-28 (only 8 speed) and must admit with each year that passes I am more and more thinking of "making life easier"

But must admit I would go about it the way some have suggested by changing the front rings to something smaller. The 52 gets very little use nowadays!

Know the feeling, especially with the weight of my beast of burden! Maybe I‘ll reduce the small chain ring, and increase the cassette?🤔

Ajax Bay

Guru
SRAM cassettes same sprocket interval and spline design as Shimano.
Specs: the capacity of your RD is 45t and largest sprocket is 34t.
file:///C:/Users/D/Downloads/2007_SPECIFICATION.pdf (Page 4)
You're using 22t up on the chainrings (52-30) so an 11-30 cassette = 19t needed: should be no problem (assumes cage is SGS not GS). If GS, make sure that the chain copes with large/large +1" and take notice if in the small chainring and there're noises rear: It's a sign to shift up at the front, pronto.
Maybe I‘ll reduce the small chain ring, and increase the cassette?
£6 + P&P: 28t Silver 74 BCD 5 bolt Inner https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s210p4819/SPA-CYCLES-Alloy-Chainrings-38T-28T

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I seem to recall a little hill climbing out of Frodsham up to the Helter Skelter. Used to ride up that, then down thru Delamere west to east and home again. Have you ridden up that hill? My old club used it for their annual hill cimb championship.

Edit:
Showing my age now. Just googled that the Helter Skelter was demolished in 1977! Must have been 1969, the last time I rode up that hill.
I think you are describing Bellmonte Road up Frodsham hill, it's a regular ride for me. It's still on the local club runs. It's not that steep, about 17-18% max.

Here's my bike at the top of the climb early this year. Note the MTB gearing to make things easy.:okay:

cheshire-ride-mar-31st-2022-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom