Cassette too big for derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
Went a bit OTT with a recent cassette purchase and it's too big for the rear changer. I'm planning on leaving it on but just never using the big cog. Is this dangerous?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Went a bit OTT with a recent cassette purchase and it's too big for the rear changer. I'm planning on leaving it on but just never using the big cog. Is this dangerous?

Have you seen this?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm just guessing but if you really can't use the biggest cog, you could always set the limit screw so that the mech can't possibly attempt to select it. BTW, I'm not sure if that would completely screw up the indexing.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
It's a 32, I read the Sheldon Brown link and had a go at turning the limit screw around but SRAM has a little spacer that comes out so it's back the right way round.
The top jockey wheel just touches now so the cassette does turn and the gear will change back down but it makes a racket.
I'll test it out but just not use the top cog. I'll probably end up having to buy a new 12-28 cassette just to be safe.

Anyone want to buy a 12-32 PG1050?

Cyclist33

Isn't there a third screw for adjusting the vertical position of the top jockey wheel to accommodate larger cassettes?

On mine I think it's marked "B"...

Stu

Top Bottom