Cassette Wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Back from my holidays, I was going to go out for a spin and get the legs pumping again... Quick inspection and I've noticed my cassette is wobbling slightly.

What could be the diagnosis, doc?

I tried to get a video, this is the best I managed to get so far. Sorry for the vertical orientation :sad:.. View in Full Screen for a better view.

Probably just the lock ring needs tightening.

Sharky

Guru
Loose lock ring?
Perhaps some dirt between the cogs not allowing it to be tightened?

Keith

Bit slow in hitting the send button. Post above beat me. Need to do some interval training on button pressing.

Cheers keith

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

I hope it's not missing a spacer... This is as bought! I think the tighten option may seem the first step... Maybe I'll remove it and give it a full clean too... Guess I'm off tool shopping tomorrow :smile:.

Thanks guys!

Broadside

Guru
Worn bearings inside the freehub body allowing a small amount of play. What sort of wheel or bike is it and how many miles has that wheel covered?

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Worn bearings inside the freehub body allowing a small amount of play. What sort of wheel or bike is it and how many miles has that wheel covered?
Raleigh Revenio 1 2014 as it comes... Wouldn't be many more then a thousand if that.

Jammo

Regular
or missing a 1mm spacer between the cassette and hub

I have this problem right now and I no I've left the spacer out wish I read this few days ago, would this cause my gears to slip and not to change up/down sometimes until I've hit the shifter 2/3 times.
Got 105 but bought new cassette for spare wheels and left that spacer off as I didn't see it until I finished I thought it be ok but wasn't, only recently had a gear service so hoping all these is due to spacer?

Ridden 1100miles on this bike this year had 2 services on those gears.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
On some cassettes, it can be surprisingly easy to put the topmost sprocket on so it doesn't sit on the hub splines properly - tighten the lockring on to it & ride some, and you then get wobble (as the rest of the sprockets are moving up and down the available space).

ianrauk's suggestion is a possibility too, although I've only come across that (a spacer being needed) on 9 spd+ hubs being used with older cassettes, or some Mavic hubs (my Aksiums need a spacer for 9spd Tiagra cassettes, for example).

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not unusual for the cassette to wobble a little when freewheeling, especially on cheaper wheels. As long as the cassette is tight on the freehub body and there's no play in the freehub, there's nothing wrong.

GentlyBenevolent

Got 105 but bought new cassette for spare wheels and left that spacer off as I didn't see it until I finished I thought it be ok but wasn't, only recently had a gear service so hoping all these is due to spacer?

More than likely. I recently got a new wheel with 11 speed hub. The wheel had a spacer and the 10 speed cassette had a spacer. I had to use both to get the gear shifting set up perfect. Whip the cassette off, put the spacer on and reassemble.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If the freehub has play, the lockring will wobble along with the rest of the cassette. If you wobble the cassette with the wheel out of the bike and a finger across the gap between lockring and axle, you should be able to feel any wobble.

If it is the freebub bearings that are loose, there's nothing you can do about it other than buy a new freehub - you need a special tool to get into it, and they are only available if you make it yourself. If you take the axle and bearings out, you'll see that the bearing cup has a couple of small notches in the rim. It's these that you need to use to unscrew the cup, the back of which is the cone for the freehub bearing.

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Supposing it is on tight, and I carry on riding.. Any harm done? Unless of course it's the bearings which I'll find out one way or another....

Worth taking to the LBS where I purchased it from after checking the lock ring for them to take a look?

I appreciate all the replies, thanks.

U

User6179

Whenever I have had a cassette wobbling on the bike was always because the axel had bent .

Top Bottom