Cassette woes on Mavic Aksium wheels... Help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
Help please, took my 10 speed Shimano cassette off my Aksium wheels to clean. On doing so noticed my cassette had a very tiny amount of play. Did some reseach and found that the wheel apparently should have a 1.75 mm spacer which it had and a 1mm spacer which it didnt. So I went out and got a 1mm shimano spacer and fitted it next to the Mavic spacer.

Went out today and gear changing was a nightmare, so my questions are

Should a 10 speed shimano cassette on a Mavic Aksium wheel have two spacers

Should these be fitted next to each other?

My bike I am pretty sure only came with the one spacer but its not impossible that I lost one i the cleaning process. Previously the bike changed gear ok if not brilliantly but certainly better than today. Any help appreciated greatly.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Depends on cassette too e.g. Tiagra doesn't use the 1mm spacer.

uclown2002

Guru
I've just put a 10 speed shimano 105 cassette on a brand new mavic aksium wheel using only the mavic 1.75 mm spacer, and there is no play.

I think mine has the M11 freehub though!

It sounds like you have a different freehub if you managed to get the shimano spacer on as well.

U

User6179

Help please, took my 10 speed Shimano cassette off my Aksium wheels to clean. On doing so noticed my cassette had a very tiny amount of play. Did some reseach and found that the wheel apparently should have a 1.75 mm spacer which it had and a 1mm spacer which it didnt. So I went out and got a 1mm shimano spacer and fitted it next to the Mavic spacer.

Went out today and gear changing was a nightmare, so my questions are

Should a 10 speed shimano cassette on a Mavic Aksium wheel have two spacers

Should these be fitted next to each other?

My bike I am pretty sure only came with the one spacer but its not impossible that I lost one i the cleaning process. Previously the bike changed gear ok if not brilliantly but certainly better than today. Any help appreciated greatly.

When you put the cassette on with one spacer you would not be able to tighten the cassette with one spacer if it actually needs the two spacer as the smallest cog would be behind the free hub so if it protrudes past the free hub with one spacer then that's all it needs .

The play could be the nylon bearing wearing down inside the free hub or the cartridge bearing inside the hub.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
Thanks with one spacer it was level with the end of the freehub with two it protrudes a bit past it. I was able to tighten it ok though without the second spacer. Thanks again

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've done the right thing by putting another spacer on. The smallest sprocket needs to be slightly proud of the freehub. The advantage with the extra spacers is that Mavic hubs take 11 speed cassettes already. Shimano 10's didn't !!

I run 7 speed on my MTB with 2 x 3mm Dura Ace spacers on Mavic wheels. On my Ksyriums, I'm running 8 speed with a 1 mm spacer, although the tech doc says you don't need it, the cassette wasn't proud enough of the freehub. It's nothing to worry about, but by putting on an extra spacer, your indexing will be slightly out. It's a 1 minute job to adjust the mech cable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It might be similar but I'm running a 10sp Ultegra cassette on a Mavic Kysirum hub. I also noticed play and googling suggested I needed the 1.75mm spacer. Fitted it, and its the best my gears have ever shifted; so just one IME.

Its KSYRIUM !:tongue:^_^:hello:

Top Bottom