Cassettes and gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah! A cunning plan.

Am really hoping that will work on mine - technically, according to my research, my rear mech is a Sora GS medium cage and can take max 27t sprocket. Mine is also a triple-chainring setup, and that apparently makes a difference too...
When funds permit, will take it to the LBS and have a chat.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Have you worked out what your biggest rear cog is yet? And yes being a triple will make a difference, it's all down to the difference between you big big and small small combo's. But unless you know what's on there at the moment it's blummin hard to give you any advice.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am a fan of low gears for climbing but if you nearly always stick to railway paths and there is only short climb which has defeated you, is it really worth bothering with changing your gearing? If you stick at it you would probably eventually manage it using your current gears, and if not it only sounds like a minute or two of walking with your bike.

Mind you, perhaps having lower gears would tempt you out onto some of the fine hilly roads that you have down there? I am heading down to Devon on Saturday and am looking forward to checking them out for myself, armed with my trusty 28/30 grovelling gear! :okay:

To be clear, i try and stick to paths rather than ever mix with traffic if I can help it. The flatness is, locally, a bonus!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As far as I can ascertain, the max allowable is 27T for this arrangement, so that's the one to go for.
Noob question: what's notorious about a two-foot gear?
Will have to have a measure...but as mjr says, it's a triple, which alters things. As a standard double, it could go to 32, I think...as a triple, probably not.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4943689, member: 9609"]why ever not, the chain will be happier going from 30 to 32 than 30 to 25[/QUOTE]
Yes but the problems may come if you ever slip into cross-chaining and now have to either fit the chain around a 32 and a 50, or at the other extreme, hope the derailleur can take up enough slack when it's only around an 11 and a 30. It's more likely to encounter the problem of not covering both extremes on a triple setup.

Top Bottom