castle combe series

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
Did the first one of the season, what can I say to help?

montage

God Almighty
Whats the set up, laps, groups general advice for racing there and how you found it :smile: cheers

Off topic- I had my car on there in 2012 and this happened lol

General advice would be this:

Enjoy it.
Personally, lessons from my first race, crit-
Concentrate and dont be a hero.
I blew up on mine and got lapped several times.
Normally easier to do this by spending a few minutes deciding what you want out of the race.
Because when it starts, all hell breaks loose and you don't think much.
Dont work too hard because the last lap is always longer than one would think. Just survive.
Youll get real hot fast so dont bother with any warm kit.
Ditch pocket pumps etc
Good luck

SWSteve

Guru
okay, if you aren't already you'll need to join BC and have a race licence (race membership where you'll have a prov licence). from here, purchase entry to the event via the BC website, if your licence hasn't arrived at this point just take proof of membership with you. The race is 50 mins + 5 laps (I think). There should be a warm up area available at the track, you'll see many riding around the car park but this is 'against the rules' if you have a turbo or rollers take those to use next to your car.

Having never raced before it took off quickly, and you'll soon experience the higher cat riders catching your group, the [pack will move to one side to let them through, stay with them].

it's a C+ cat event, so your prov racing licence would normally mean you have to pay for a day licence, but the kind fellows at andy cook cycling waive that from your first 3 events.

I'm sorry if that seems quite jumbled, the most important thing I would say is to be ready for a bloody hard ride and try to not get near the back otherwise you'll find yourself getting dropped like I did.

If you want questions answered from the organiser their details are available via the BC site for you to email

samg123

Castle Combe is a fairly big pack, so try not to get intimidated by the numbers. It's fairly easy to find yourself hanging off the back in the first lap and then you'll never be able to make your way back up- the pack can stretch to about 70 metres long when the hammer's down... If you're on the front, you generally won't need to brake for any of the corners, but with the concertina effect it'll involve a lot of sprinting towards the back. Work out where the wind is coming from and try to keep sheltered, although it's not always possible.

Other than that, ride safe! You tend to get a lot of angst and shouting in such a big pack- as long as you don't cross wheels through corners or make any sudden movements you should be fine.

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Castle Combe is a fairly big pack, so try not to get intimidated by the numbers. It's fairly easy to find yourself hanging off the back in the first lap and then you'll never be able to make your way back up- the pack can stretch to about 70 metres long when the hammer's down... If you're on the front, you generally won't need to brake for any of the corners, but with the concertina effect it'll involve a lot of sprinting towards the back. Work out where the wind is coming from and try to keep sheltered, although it's not always possible.

Other than that, ride safe! You tend to get a lot of angst and shouting in such a big pack- as long as you don't cross wheels through corners or make any sudden movements you should be fine.
Thanks! What Cat you rode up there?

samg123

Rode my first ever race in the 4ths there, found it fairly bewildering to be honest! Did a few more, then earned my third at the Easter Classic they do there, so I know the track fairly well. A couple of my mates were thinking of heading down tonight, but I think they decided on Ilton instead for their first time- huge expanses of tarmac and a lot less technical, so it's maybe a bit easier to get settled.

Let me know if you have any really specific questions...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ive done a TT on the combe - the wind is a pain in the backside up there thats for sure, especially on the homestraight

Of the two, Ilton is less scary first time around but depending on wind, can be much faster (and is also more expensive to ride there on the night - £20 Ilton and £12 at Coombe).

Castle Coombe is much more technical and 4th Cats will be racing alongside 3rd...as others have said, the E,1,2 riders will pass at some point...don't let it distract you. Stay out of wind if you can, resist the temptation to fly away (you'll be caught), make no sudden movements and hold your line. Take any advice that comes your way because you will get told to keep your line as a beginner. There will be loads of you so keep mentally alert and watch coming out of the corners, firstly in the sense you don't want to get sandwiched or nudged off-course and then at the far end prepare to get out of the saddle and accelerate unless you want to be dropped.

Good luck and Ilton is worth a go as others have implied. You'll have a 4th Cat only race there.

montage

God Almighty
I'd be interetsed to know what average speed is achieved over th hour for the 3/4th cat race?

Average speed means very little in crits. Sometimes the pace will be constantly high for a while, sometimes there is a bit of a rest and the average drops, sometimes the crit is more like a series of sprint intervals.

For example, the first 10 miles of a 3/4 race I did a while back was 28 mph, and not really that tough. I jumped in the E12 straight after and the first 10 miles and the average speed was the same, and fatigue from already racing aside, it was monstrously harder as the hits were much bigger and longer as people tried to establish the break.

Top Bottom