castle combe series

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Average speed means very little in crits. Sometimes the pace will be constantly high for a while, sometimes there is a bit of a rest and the average drops, sometimes the crit is more like a series of sprint intervals.

For example, the first 10 miles of a 3/4 race I did a while back was 28 mph, and not really that tough. I jumped in the E12 straight after and the first 10 miles and the average speed was the same, and fatigue from already racing aside, it was monstrously harder as the hits were much bigger and longer as people tried to establish the break.
28mph for 10 miles at 4/3rd cat seems a little high to me - that must have been a very fast section. Okay I'll ask again, if anyone has done the 4th cvat race at castle combe, what did your computer say was your average speed at the end of the race?

montage

God Almighty
28mph for 10 miles at 4/3rd cat seems a little high to me - that must have been a very fast section. Okay I'll ask again, if anyone has done the 4th cvat race at castle combe, what did your computer say was your average speed at the end of the race?

25-26 mph looking at the Strava's of clubmates who race there

SWSteve

Guru
I didn't last the whole race, but the laps I held on for were 24mph average

edit: I've since checked and they were actually closer to 26-27 mph

Last edited:

e-rider

crappy member
I didn't last the whole race, but the laps I held on for were 24mph average

edit: I've since checked and they were actually closer to 26-27 mph
thanks, I guess it's a flat course. Still, that is a good speed for 4th cats and too quick for me! If it was 24mph I'd have considered racing.

montage

God Almighty
thanks, I guess it's a flat course. Still, that is a good speed for 4th cats and too quick for me! If it was 24mph I'd have considered racing.

You adapt to the speed pretty quickly - give it a go!
If you get dropped, usually you can wait for them, jump back onto the back - rinse and repeat.
Next week...aim to get dropped a little later in the race, the week after a bit later, then hold on, then top 10, then top 3, then win :biggrin:
Everyone starts somewhere, usually with being dropped first time.

Get some anaerobic training in to prepare you for the big surges and you'll be good to go (1 minute intervals, 5 min rest is a good place to start)

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Cheers for the insight. Will be riding the next 3 races here at combe as a main workout and to develop some more group riding skills which seem to wash off rather fast. Leading up to my first proper race of the season which promises to be rather hilly

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

If you can't ride in a group you're putting others in danger
Yes and im talking about skills slightly more advanced than you probably even know about.

SWSteve

Guru
I genuinely would do-but lessons easily learnt, for free are easily forgotten.

You have to learn the hard way here to be of benefit to you.
So regular club rides and having done the Castle Ccombe race before (and will be doing again several times over the summer) doesn't put me in a position to be able to point that out for you?

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

Feel free to elaborate on that
Original post. Sure. Always happy to

Premier skill would be once you're surrounded mid pack-trying to get out cleanly and sharpishly.

Second most important one is when you stand-you drop back 4-6 inches naturally compared to riders behind. So your wheel is drifting back and is something to be avoided if you want to keep the annoyance down. So working on power before you stand

Then there is naturally drifting when you turn and look behind you. Getting used to echelons or even just pacelines if its been a while and double echelons should you find yourself not in it and need to make another.

oldroadman

Veteran
As the old adage says, practice makes perfect...not arguing about it (or willy waving as the discussion seems to really be about). Having ridden at a slightly higher standard some years ago, being brought up on a diet of club riding and practice of skills before embarking on some years of bashing over the roads of europe, you gentlemen should simply try to get on and race safely. Then we can all be happy. Just try hard and enjoy, and stay safe. Best of luck, it's meant to be fun at local level!

Top Bottom