Castleton, Edale area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smeggers

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes...

I'm planning an 'away day' next week and wondered if anyone could recommend me an approximatley 25 mile loop taking in some of the sights of Edale, Castleton, Derwent etc?

A good pub for afters would be good too!

Any recommendations?

SamNichols

I haven't cycled in Edale, though I have gone walking there a few times. There are a couple of pubs in Edale itself. Pubs wise I preferred the ramblers, the beer was fairly cheap there. Didn't eat, but the food looked pretty bad.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
smeggers, iirc you were a bit concerned about being "fast enough" for the local club. if you can haul yer arse and bike in and out of edale you are more than capable of riding with us. the road out of edale is long and steep, or you could come in that way and go out via winnat's pass (which is horrid).

OP
OP
Smeggers

Smeggers

alecstilleyedye said:
smeggers, iirc you were a bit concerned about being "fast enough" for the local club. if you can haul yer arse and bike in and out of edale you are more than capable of riding with us. the road out of edale is long and steep, or you could come in that way and go out via winnat's pass (which is horrid).

Will let you know after the event Alec :sad::blush:;)

Thanks for responses so far.

alicat

Legendary Member
good 'un - down Winnats Pass is better than up. Don't let cars pass you on the descent because they have a habit of stopping to let cars coming up through and you won't be able to stop as fast as they can!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Kudos to you for considering cycling it. I've walked long loops around castleton. There are a couple of nice pubs in Castleton I've eaten/drank in but I can't remember the names (there aren't many).

bonj2

you can cycle all the way round ladybower which is quite nice, not too hilly, nice views all the time of the reservoir and the hills on the other side and not too many cars (shouldn't be any at the northern end past fairholmes).

The snake pass itself has got some lovely views and good long hills.

If you can be bothered to venture south-east a little the chatsworth estate is very picturesque to ride through.

Not sure about castleton and edale itself, not been there much.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do plan your route as you can easily do more than the 25 you hope to do. If looking to come down Winnats you have two routes to the top, one from Sparrowpit with some nasty little dips and climbs or down to Chapel then up Rushup Edge which is a long steady climb. You'll need to loop into them and the climb out oh Hope and Castleton towards the A6 is tough

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Weather dependent (being that kind of fairweather cyclist) I was considering cycling in that area on Sunday too, so see you there if it's sunny. Is Winnats Pass that horrid? I drove down it last summer and thought it would be 'a challenge' but now I'm scared :sad:

Smeggers, if you see a girl on a blue thorn looking knackered, but accompanied by a ridiculously tall bloke on a black carrera looking much much worse, do shout and say hello.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Winnats is steep and fairly unrelenting right to the top, but it doesn't present a insurmountable problem to a properly equipped road bike with a triple.

The problem is it's barely two cars wide, so you can feel pretty 'marginalised' on a busy day and there's no room for wobbles. Also if you do it on the Phil & Friends day, the gutter is full of club roadies pushing their bikes up.

If you're riding in that area, it's worth remembering that the old toll road zig zags up under Mam Tor itself and has a much more pleasant gradient. However it has also suffered from subsidence and has been closed to traffic since the late '70's. But much of it is still well surfaced with only a couple of short sections where you need to hop off your bike and carry for a few yards. Up Mam Tor and down Winnats is a great circuit.

Top Bottom