Cat and Fiddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
From Jenkins Chapel :evil:

That's the only hill I failed on in last two years - my shoulder gave way 3/4 of the way up !

We should have slightly lumpy forum ride Brickworks, Pym Chair via Jenkin, Goyts Lane down Long Hill into Buxton and back to Cheshire over the Cat :evil: anyone wanting to try it fixed can give it a go :whistle: Potsy and gb155 can settle their ongoing battle of words :tongue:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
We should have slightly lumpy forum ride Brickworks, Pym Chair via Jenkin, Goyts Lane down Long Hill into Buxton and back to Cheshire over the Cat anyone wanting to try it fixed can give it a go Potsy and gb155 can settle their ongoing battle of words

I'm in :-)

Pots ????? ;-)

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Woodhead is a nightmare during the day. I drive it quite often from Sheff to Manchester. It's great at 2am though, lovely and quiet :smile:

If you like climbs, try Bakewell to Sheffield via Froggatt. The A625 crosses the river Derwent at 125m and tops out at 382m about 4 miles later.

Glossop to Sheffield on the A57 is supposed to be a goodun' too

Unclejohnsson

Hi - I'm trying to ride the 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs (Simon Warren's book) in a year for charity - I have done the Cat and Fiddle - photos, a description, a comedy double time video (of dubious quality) and my garmin data are here: http://100hillsforge...and-fiddle.html

the blog is at www.100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com

Cheers!

Hi Mark

Enjoyed your blog very much. The videos are great and I admire the fact that you dont always take the easy line. There are a few chances for a breather on Riber and neither of us take them. You can climb hills buddy...

UJ

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi - I'm trying to ride the 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs (Simon Warren's book) in a year for charity - I have done the Cat and Fiddle - photos, a description, a comedy double time video (of dubious quality) and my garmin data are here: http://100hillsforge...and-fiddle.html

the blog is at www.100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com

Cheers!

Hey, that looks like a really good challenge! Great idea... if you want company, why not put a 'heads up' on here when you're planning to do them?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my club does a hill climb up pym chair. the club record is 3 minutes or something stupid and, as far as we're aware, is the world record…

Is anyone doing the organised Cat & Fiddle Challenge on 2nd October?

Me and a mate of mine are planning to do it, any takers?

Application form attached :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Cat & Fiddle Challenge 2011.jpg
    Cat & Fiddle Challenge 2011.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 66

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
not ridden it - fancy doing it, but not driving all the way to Stoke to ride back near home, then have to drive back ! Plus I'd be a few grand out of pocket if I walk in that shop. Just do not show me a Rourke 953.

Andy500

Yes i've signed up for it. Received a confirmation email today with all the details.

Also signed up for the Welsh Etape Cymru (100 miles with four climbs totalling 6000ft) the following Sunday.

Andy500
Is anyone doing the organised Cat & Fiddle Challenge on 2nd October?

Me and a mate of mine are planning to do it, any takers?

Application form attached :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
I commute up over the Wizard, it is a lot shorter but has two bits that are steeper than anything on The Cat. The Cat and Fiddle is just a long drag (6 or 7 miles iirc) with a couple of false summits. There are lots of excellent climbs around the area that are on quieter roads without the looney motorcyclists doing Valentino Rossi impressions. Try Adlington upto Pott Shrigley and onto the Old Brickworks far less traffic apart from other cyclists. When you have the confidence to go a bit further there are some harder climbs upto Pym Chair and on into the Goyt Valley. You can always come back down the Cat from the Goyt Valley.

I like the Brickworks and IMO it is a more testing climb than the cat & Fiddle.

Did this route a while back

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/80818389

Eccles Rd and Combe Lane (both near Chapel en le frith) are very hard.

Top Bottom