Cat Carrier.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I could not imagine that many cats would be happy in a carrier strapped to a bike bouncing along. Even taking ours to the vet in one using a car can require gardening gloves.

Yeah I know what you mean, but our wee cat has never showed her claws to us although I get your point.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
My cats like to travel - they're used to it, having done plenty of.

I have a clamshell front opening Avior (think bow doors of a car ferry), easy to get a cat in and out of, with lugs to take car seat belts. Unfortunately they're no longer made which is a shame.

I also have a top-loading rectangular wire carrier, which also a doddle to get even a very cranky cat in and out of. The lid locks with a separate retaining skewer.

The worst possible carriers are the front loading plastic jobbies with the tiddly gate door. They're not great to get cats in and out of, and the doors are flimsy, which can lead to escapees.

I have seen backpack cat carriers but I'm not sure I'd want to try either of mine with one... :whistle:

I thought the backpack style might be suitable for me as she likes to be close to us and she wouldn't be rattling around like some other versions. We take the cat everywhere with us so I'm not overly concerned about travelling with her just never on the bike yet.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I'd be very worried about the cat escaping and buggering off. My cat much prefers sitting at home and napping and eating.
I don't think he wants to have adventures.

He gets peed off with me every time we go to the vets. He goes outside immediately and sits on the lawn with his back to me - sulking. I have to win him round with ham. Your cat must be cut from a different cloth.

She could be an escapee at the first opportunity but she wouldn't go anywhere unless she got a flight. She likes an adventure but not too far from us if she can help it.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Sounds like an ideal DIY project :okay: make it exactly as you want. I made a small dog carrier to fit on a motorcycle rack out of a extra large top box which had grills on top and sides so the dog could watch the world go by. :okay:

It would be possible but I would be forever imagining her bouncing around like a bean in a tin. Would need to give that some thought.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I think it depends on the cat. My Poppy used to complain long and loud in any sort of carrier, but put her in a harness and carry her in your arms anywhere - even on the bus - she was no trouble at all but looked around in interest like a little dog and that is the way I used to take her to the vets. I can't think she would've liked cycling though as it was being held that she liked and being in a container involuntarily that she hated.

I fear our cat might be similar as she does like to be in our arms. I was hoping there would be some sort of carrier out there that she would be happy in.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Taking a cat on a bike sounds cruel, especially for a rescue cat. If you want a pet to take on your bike rides, a dog would be more likely to enjoy them.

Believe me, we wouldn't do anything with her that she didn't want to do which is really why I'm asking on here as I knew a few others are in service to their cat and someone must have considered it before now.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I fear our cat might be similar as she does like to be in our arms. I was hoping there would be some sort of carrier out there that she would be happy in.

What about a child carrier which is on your chest with a net or something over the top to stop the cat jumping out but high enough to let the cat look out?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
What about a child carrier which is on your chest with a net or something over the top to stop the cat jumping out but high enough to let the cat look out?

I reckon she would hate being trussed up like that. Maybe it was a bit optimistic to think we could get something that would keep her happy.

I don't know what size you're after, but this one's about 5' 8".

I've seen him round town a few times, and the cat looks really content, and he seems like a really decent bloke. It's a nice story to read.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/queen-hull-cats-more-dog-6989612

1651513545050.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think poppy must be a popular name :smile: , ours is from a rescue centre and was called cookie but mrs ck and kids wanted to call it poppy too, i had other names for the blighter this morning when i found it chasing a ruddy mouse around the kitchen for the 3rd morning in a row

I think poppy must be a popular name :smile: , ours is from a rescue centre and was called cookie but mrs ck and kids wanted to call it poppy too, i had other names for the blighter this morning when i found it chasing a ruddy mouse around the kitchen for the 3rd morning in a row

Hey, she's only doing her job! :laugh: Why d'you think I pay mine in ham?

IMG_4387_small.jpg

This is Madam Lexi, btw, mouser par excellence. :becool:

Poppy is the most popular name for a female cat according to Cats Protection.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Hey, she's only doing her job! :laugh: Why d'you think I pay mine in ham?

View attachment 642950

This is Madam Lexi, btw, mouser par excellence. :becool:

Poppy is the most popular name for a female cat according to Cats Protection.

We are getting one brought to us every morning, Mrs Slick hates it, but turns out we have ourselves the cutest wee mouser in the country. :okay:

Top Bottom