Cat Carrier.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
We have a very small rescue cat and we would love to take her with us on some of our bike trips. Every time I think I see one that would suit, I read the reviews and they are all terrible. Has anyone got any real experience and able to offer a recommendation for something that I could fit to my bike or are they all really terrible?

si_c

Guru
What about a trailer?

I've seen a few people carrying small dogs in a trailer, seems like it would be ideal for a cat.

My cats like to travel - they're used to it, having done plenty of.

I have a clamshell front opening Avior (think bow doors of a car ferry), easy to get a cat in and out of, with lugs to take car seat belts. Unfortunately they're no longer made which is a shame.

I also have a top-loading rectangular wire carrier, which also a doddle to get even a very cranky cat in and out of. The lid locks with a separate retaining skewer.

The worst possible carriers are the front loading plastic jobbies with the tiddly gate door. They're not great to get cats in and out of, and the doors are flimsy, which can lead to escapees.

I have seen backpack cat carriers but I'm not sure I'd want to try either of mine with one... :whistle:

I'd be very worried about the cat escaping and buggering off. My cat much prefers sitting at home and napping and eating.
I don't think he wants to have adventures.

He gets peed off with me every time we go to the vets. He goes outside immediately and sits on the lawn with his back to me - sulking. I have to win him round with ham. Your cat must be cut from a different cloth.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Sounds like an ideal DIY project :okay: make it exactly as you want. I made a small dog carrier to fit on a motorcycle rack out of a extra large top box which had grills on top and sides so the dog could watch the world go by. :okay:

I think it depends on the cat. My Poppy used to complain long and loud in any sort of carrier, but put her in a harness and carry her in your arms anywhere - even on the bus - she was no trouble at all but looked around in interest like a little dog and that is the way I used to take her to the vets. I can't think she would've liked cycling though as it was being held that she liked and being in a container involuntarily that she hated.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think it depends on the cat. My Poppy used to complain long and loud in any sort of carrier, but put her in a harness and carry her in your arms anywhere - even on the bus - she was no trouble at all but looked around in interest like a little dog and that is the way I used to take her to the vets. I can't think she would've liked cycling though as it was being held that she liked and being in a container involuntarily that she hated.

indeed , our cat would destroy anything trying to get out and then leg it at the 1st oppotunity

Reminds me of my old boy Toby @KnittyNorah

IMG_9400_small.jpg

He used to travel on a lead and harness clipped into the rear seat belts

si_c

Guru
Our cat hates the cat carrier, and had broken her way out of one of the hard plastic ones with the metal gate thing before now, she'd also view being carried around in a harness as merely an opportunity to savage whomever was at the end of the leash.

Suffice it to say she's somewhat antisocial.

alicat

Legendary Member
Taking a cat on a bike sounds cruel, especially for a rescue cat. If you want a pet to take on your bike rides, a dog would be more likely to enjoy them.

Reminds me of my old boy Toby @KnittyNorah

View attachment 642792

He used to travel on a lead and harness clipped into the rear seat belts

Poppy used to get 'borrowed' by a couple of local little girls to put in their doll's pram and be paraded up and down along the ginnel which separated their terrace with the one where I lived. End house so when Poppy got fed up with being wrapped in blankets and mock-fed with a dolls bottle, she'd calmly stretch, yawn, clamber out of the pram and jump over the fence to her own home. That was usually the time the little girls were getting tired of it too so it all worked out well!
When she was killed, the little girls came about a week later with a bunch of flowers for me; their mums had told them - very gently - some story about what had happened so they knew that Poppy was dead. One of their mums came round the day after she'd been killed to express her sympathy and shock - she said she'd never particularly liked cats before but Poppy had changed her mind.

Poppy used to get 'borrowed' by a couple of local little girls to put in their doll's pram and be paraded up and down along the ginnel which separated their terrace with the one where I lived. End house so when Poppy got fed up with being wrapped in blankets and mock-fed with a dolls bottle, she'd calmly stretch, yawn, clamber out of the pram and jump over the fence to her own home. That was usually the time the little girls were getting tired of it too so it all worked out well!
When she was killed, the little girls came about a week later with a bunch of flowers for me; their mums had told them - very gently - some story about what had happened so they knew that Poppy was dead. One of their mums came round the day after she'd been killed to express her sympathy and shock - she said she'd never particularly liked cats before but Poppy had changed her mind.

Oh bless... Cats do have a way of worming their way into your affections... :blush: I am currently owned by a Poppy.

NR1F6257_small.jpg

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
What about a trailer?

I've seen a few people carrying small dogs in a trailer, seems like it would be ideal for a cat.

Never really thought about that and after reading other comments, I don't think it would be for our wee lady who likes to be close to us.

Top Bottom