Cycling shoes smell of cat wee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
With all the wet weather lately, my shoes have started to smell like cat wee. It's not helped with hot/sweaty feet and I usually just leaving the overshoes on with the on/off rain. I haven't been able to really leave them long enough to dry out either, as I'm using them pretty much every day (some days I have been putting them on soaking wet)
I've never had this problem before, and this seems to be a recent thing. I've owned these shoes for about a year (Sidi Shot 2's)

I've read soaking them in diluted bleach may work, but I don't fancy putting my shoes through that. Does anyone have any other tips for keeping the rancid smell at bay?? Thanks xx(

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get them dry. My boots smell if they stay wet. Dehumidifier ?

Slick

Guru
With all the wet weather lately, my shoes have started to smell like cat wee. It's not helped with hot/sweaty feet and I usually just leaving the overshoes on with the on/off rain. I haven't been able to really leave them long enough to dry out either, as I'm using them pretty much every day (some days I have been putting them on soaking wet)
I've never had this problem before, and this seems to be a recent thing. I've owned these shoes for about a year (Sidi Shot 2's)

I've read soaking them in diluted bleach may work, but I don't fancy putting my shoes through that. Does anyone have any other tips for keeping the rancid smell at bay?? Thanks xx(

There's only 1 real solution when you let them get to that state, and its the bin unfortunately.

Make sure its someone else's though. xx(

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I wouldnt personally put them in the washer. I'd try Dettol and a drop of detergent in the sink and having a good swish about. Then rinse and them leave them to dry stuffed with newspapers.

davidphilips

Veteran
My solution to keep them smelling fresh is to hang them in my boiler house, if wet when they dry out then keep a bar of soap in them until i use them again.
If cycling a lot (only my view) dont keep using the same shoes every day.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Use to get the same with the sons Nike football boots and no matter what we did they still smelt so we took tham back and swapped them for a different make as loads of his team mates had same issue but all had Nike boots

Gwylan

Veteran

Not read other loony suggestions. Mine is a warm strong solution of bicarbonate of soda or baking powder.
Rinse the shoes out and leave to dry.

Oh and have a serious eyeball to eyeball chat with the cat.
Explain that if this continues they go not the shoes.

Top Bottom