Cycling shoes smell of cat wee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
I don't do that newspaper stuff as I prefer fresh air to circulate around.
I probably should have clarified that I do let fresh air finish the drying when the newspaper has absorbed most of the moisture. The OP is wearing their shoes back to back and that may be contibuting to the problems so imho newspaper is the only way to get them dry overnight.

PapaZita

Guru
I’ve had this problem. Washing will remove sweat and/or actual cat pee and is a good idea, but as mentioned above, there’s something about some shoes, maybe the glue used, that can still pong after a good wash.

I bought, and recommend, one of these:

1691407789804.jpeg

https://www.therm-ic.com/en/shoes-dryer/23-therm-ic-refresher-3661267096778.html

It‘s a gentle warm air drier, with UV light. I’m not sure if it’s the thorough drying or the UV light that really makes the difference, but I suspect the drying. It seemed a bit pricey (£60ish) at the time, but cheaper than a new pair of boots, which was the only other alternative. Now all our shoes and boots (cycling and otherwise) get a turn on the drier when they’re even a little bit damp, especially if they’re needed the next day, and all the smells are gone.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t think a cat has actually pee’d in them, he’s just got stinky feet made worse by shoes staying wet! More that wet dog pong that clothes/shoes get when not dried properly. Quite common at gyms ime!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You don't need stinky feet for the shoes to stink. It's the not getting them dry and certain materials, neoprene for example, can stink if left wet. Shoes left wet will stink. My boots were a bit wiffy last week after 16 hours of wet weather riding over two days, then 3 wet commutes. They are fine now as they have been near the de-humidifier and on the window ledge.

Gwylan

Veteran
I’ve had this problem. Washing will remove sweat and/or actual cat pee and is a good idea, but as mentioned above, there’s something about some shoes, maybe the glue used, that can still pong after a good wash.

I bought, and recommend, one of these:

View attachment 701796

https://www.therm-ic.com/en/shoes-dryer/23-therm-ic-refresher-3661267096778.html

It‘s a gentle warm air drier, with UV light. I’m not sure if it’s the thorough drying or the UV light that really makes the difference, but I suspect the drying. It seemed a bit pricey (£60ish) at the time, but cheaper than a new pair of boots, which was the only other alternative. Now all our shoes and boots (cycling and otherwise) get a turn on the drier when they’re even a little bit damp, especially if they’re needed the next day, and all the smells are gone.

The UV is a con. Unless it's UVC. In that case it will kill most things in the shoes, reduce the life of any plastic and ensure you will get serious, possibly terminal eye problems.
Like the idea of the warm air though.

DiggyGun

Just get another pair. Alternate them allowing them to dry out.

DG…

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cedarwood shoe trees are very effective at preventing smelly shoes, but they won't cure already-smelly shoes. You need to use them from new, after every ride.

DogmaStu

OP, don't leave your overshoes on!

The damp that will exist between the overshoes and your Sidi's will decay the leather. I know, I had this happen to a pair I owned 3 years ago. The shoes were yellow, all the yellow topping rotted off. All within 2 months.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Excellent point!

I missed that part of the OP ...

I missed that too - overshoes off, give them a rinse under the tap, and get them dry too (don't wash the overshoes). No wonder they stink, not allowing the shoe to dry off.

I commute in all weathers and never got a stinky shoes (the ones that get stinky are winter boots, and the neoprene cuff can pong). The key was to keep the shoe dry as possible. Overshoes on in light rain, but heavy rain, overshoes and waterproof pants - stopped the rain running into the top of the overshoe - they are a bit warm, but just slow down.

What I do with the MTB boots, is use a 'wrist' dry suit seal - it's a cheap bit of butyl rubber that you can cut, and this is placed over the cuff of the boot - stops the water on your legs running into the boot (make sure your socks are shorter than the seal).

Top Bottom