Cat Fleas

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

The dog has never had fleas until we got the cat, now it's a constant battle, we've tried Spot-On & RIP spray but we still have a problem, is there a better solution?

johnblack

Über Member
We use advantage, which works well, use it once a month and no issues at all. Frontline not so good.

There is also a room spray called Indorex that clears carpets of any infestations. we had an issue with a neighbours cat coming in and passing on the fleas, it was always troubled with fleas even though I know they gave it regular treatments, I think that some cats are just far more unlucky than others.

si_c

Guru
Frontline has worked very well for our cat - no fleas since she was a kitten (now 10). She doesn't particularly like it, but then she doesn't particularly like anything.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Indorex and RIP are much the same thing and either should work, if you have an ongoing problem with fleas most of the problems will be with flea eggs and pupae in the environment, spraying the areas both the dog and cat go, regular hoovering and washing their bedding will help and treating both pets monthly with something like Advantage, weigh them first to get the correct size, if you bath the dog a lot or he goes swimming tablets will be better. It can take several months to get on top of it unfortunately just a case of sticking with it.

AndreaJ

Veteran
If you have used the Indorex and Advantage you shouldn’t need anything else, just keep using the Advantage monthly until they have had no fleas for a couple of months then keep checking them. We see lots of pets with fleas at work( I’m a veterinary nurse) and most people are happy that the Advantage works.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a nighmare this year with the buggers. Ours are all done - I get it on-line as the cost is horrendous from the vet - 5 cats to do every month.

I've never seen fleas like it is this year. Never had to do cats that often, usually every 3 months (cat owner 25 years) -

My cats are indoor, had to be every month...

si_c

Guru
It's a nighmare this year with the buggers. Ours are all done - I get it on-line as the cost is horrendous from the vet - 5 cats to do every month.

I've never seen fleas like it is this year. Never had to do cats that often, usually every 3 months (cat owner 25 years) -

My cats are indoor, had to be every month...
If they are indoor cats that means you're the one bringing them in!!

Oddly, I've not had a problem with fleas this year at all - have only zapped the girls twice. Mind, I *don't* have central heating or fitted carpets, which are havens for fleas. Lexi has a flea allergy, so I'd know it pretty quickly if she picked up any "passengers".

If you have a problem with fleas, then please treat your pets with a wormer as well as a proper flea treatment, as fleas are the host for tapeworm larvae, and you may end up with a worm problem as well.

Also, put some flea powder in your vacuum cleaner to take care of the ones that might hatch from eggs that are vacuumed up from carpets and soft furnishings.

If buying flea treatment in the supermarket, then do make sure that it contains 50mg of fipronil - this is Frontline by any other name. Although Frontline has lost its effectiveness in this neck of the woods, so I now use Advocate - which is a combo flea / wormer. Most OTC stuff only repels fleas rather than killing them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If they are indoor cats that means you're the one bringing them in!!

Baby cat came in with some. Neighbours cat sits on top of our cat run with some... can't win. A colleague had 80 plus bites from her car's fleas this year, we've had none. The vet said it was a bad year for the buggers (well bonus year for a flea).

I work at a Uni, so is it me bringing them in..... probably... some nasty illnesses going round this year...:wacko:

Top Bottom