cat friendly weedkiller

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
having recently took ownership.... sorry I will start again.....I have recently become servant to two cats but I have a need for weedkiller , can anyone recommend to me, a cat friendly weedkiller ,bought or home made, does such a thing exist. @Reynard @Pat "5mph" and any other cat servants
thanks in advance for any suggestions.

tom73

Guru
Glyphosate based weedkiller is ok once it's dry. To know if other organic ideas are better what is the weed problem?

I don't use weedkillers / pesticides of any sort. I just weed out / mow as appropriate. And to be fair, I have a wildlife friendly woodland garden, so the odd weed doesn't bother me.

CP also advises not to use weedkillers or pesticides.

The only thing I can possibly suggest other than getting one of those weeder-on-a-stick gadgets or very careful burning is to cage over the area you've treated and then carefully dispose of the waste.

tom73

Guru
If its open ground you can cover the whole lot with membrane then cover it with what ever you like.
2rd one down has shallow roots a hoe will keep them at bay.
A weed puller is an option for the dandelions as is an old bread knife.
The Horsetail will not be easy hoeing off young growth is an option just don't speed the root around too much. As is covering the area with membrane.
A lance is good idea if you're careful of the area around the weed. It may take a few go's mind you but is effective.
You can mix up the option depending on area effected. Chemical control is always the last thing on the list
Remember if you keep cutting the leaves off anything it can't make food and will die in time.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
previously I would dig it over and remove the weeds as I go but with back problems this is no longer an option, there is plenty of these.. View attachment 467441

these.. View attachment 467442
and these View attachment 467443

Very handy photos. Thank you. With domestic products available on the market there is not one wild plant in your list that will be permanently eradicated with domestic products. And if you somehow got round the legal loopholes and managed to get hold of a commercial chemical, you will be genuinely jeopardising the lives of your cats and breaking the law. I have borne witness to this and it was unpleasant and upsetting experience for the owner. Not a client but a relative’s animal. I will spare you the gory details of a very painful death.

Equisitium (1) is a survivor hence it has been around since Jurassic times. The roots are so deep, your best bet it just to cut back any growth.

Greater plantain (2) is easy to get rid of. Just dig it up with the roots.

Dandelion (3) will always be with you. You may even get to know each plant intimately. Genuinely, the best results I have had has been with boiling water.

The other approach is to live with a few extra wild plants and relish in the fact your cats are reasonably safe.

(There is also an argument for employing a local gardener to do it for you)

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
aha burning sounds good , one of those weed burner doofas , just the job, and I will enjoy it:evil:

This. They are fantastic and fun in a dark kind of way. Will work on all the above but keep at it.

ianbarton

Veteran
having recently took ownership.... sorry I will start again.....I have recently become servant to two cats but I have a need for weedkiller , can anyone recommend to me, a cat friendly weedkiller, bought or home made, does such a thing exist. @Reynard @Pat "5mph" and any other cat servants
thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Glyphosphate (Roundup) works on grass. Not as good with things like dandelions and nettles. It acts on an enzyme that is only present in plants. General precautions: don't let animals near the sprayed area until it has dried. Don't use near ponds. There have been lots of scare stories about Roundup recently. However, if you go and look at the cohort studies of many thousands of people, no adverse events connected to its use were found.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Glyphosphate (Roundup) works on grass. Not as good with things like dandelions and nettles. It acts on an enzyme that is only present in plants. General precautions: don't let animals near the sprayed area until it has dried. Don't use near ponds. There have been lots of scare stories about Roundup recently. However, if you go and look at the cohort studies of many thousands of people, no adverse events connected to its use were found.

That’s ok then. Never mind the rest of the ecosystem and the OP’s cats. So long as you’re alright Jack. :wacko:

Why do you think it’s slowly being banned right across the globe? The panel on GQT are no longer allowed to recommend it either. There are too many people out there using chemicals who have no training or knowledge to be let loose with this stuff. And to be frank there are too few invertebrates out there to even consider using glyphosate.

*Very contentious subject akin to the helmet debate. But you probably know that.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Domestic chemical control is quickly coming to an end. The want for even higher profit margin on the back of ever costly testing and licence requirements have speeded things up even more.

Gardening is all about helping and working with nature that's 1/2 the joy. If you look solutions can be found weed control can be at times harder but not impossible just need to find a way and wait a little bit longer.

Biological controls and natural compounds are just 2 newer examples of pest control which are now common place for domestic use. I've yet to find a blue tit that won't help deal with a rose bush full of greenfly. Most healthy plants can see most things with a bit of help along the way be it extra water, food, or around care.

Top Bottom