Catastrophic failure - ouch.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simgsxr

Glad you are ok, but please forgive my ignorance, where did your bars snap? was it either side of where the stem clamps the bars?:tongue:

They're alloy ITMs, 6 years old. They snapped one side of the stem. The other half is still attached.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
joebe said:
They're alloy ITMs, 6 years old. They snapped one side of the stem. The other half is still attached.

Its quite rare for that to happen imo. I check my bike over every few weeks for any problems. Now and again check the frame, especially like if after saturday when I hit a rather nasty pothole on an unfamiliar road.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
rb58 said:
That would suggest they've been overtightened. At least that's what the LBS told me when it happened to me last year.

That can certainly happen to carbon. I think the alloy ones are more prone if the bike falls over from being propped against something.

My bike went over in the wind last year when I was giving it a clean. I had propped it against a garden table but the gust just took it. Thankfully only bar tape torn, just tucked it back in and left it as it was. :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Bugger! Glad you're alright. I had this happen to me last year, fortunately at low speed and I managed not to fall off. FWIW, I think in my case it was partly if not entirely caused by me knackering the bars when installing them - they were tight in the stem, and I kind of back-and-forth twisted them to get them in. The scratches seemed superficial, but with hindsight, I think they might have created a weak point from which a crack gradually developed. I could be completely wrong, but I certainly didn't take the chance when installing the replacement bars. I made damn sure the stem gap was wide enough.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Glad to see you're alright. I've never thought that could be a problem. I've only got 2 bikes 1 is 22 years old with original bars MTB (Saracen and painted so probably steel) the other Ali and at least 20 years and second hand when I built bike. I'll be checking them.

rustychisel

It happens. I replaced an old pair of ITMs the other day 'cause they'd taken a knock and I didn't trust them any more.

These ones, on the other hand, were about 20 years old and going strong, I thought. Completed a flying 250 lap an the velodrome at about 60kmh and as I slowed and pushed down on the bars they just folded down as you see. Managed to casually rest my hand on my thigh as I rolled back into the pits...

broken.bars.jpg

GrasB

Veteran
Problem is with aluminium 'bars is that they will fail but you duno when but the stiffer & harder the ally it's made from the more they'll tend to snap passed shearing rather than bend.

Top Bottom