Catastrophic Rear Tyre Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
After my recent run of inexplicable and unexplained punctures I thought my luck might change. Today, out for a slow and lazy 20 miler with the intention of taking some photographs, I leant my bike against a bridge and wandered over to the other side to take some snaps (as an aside, for the second week running on a Sunday morning, my sudden appearance at a bridge side has resulted in startling a grey heron who flew away each time before I could take a picture). Anyway, I suddenly hear a strange noise and the loudest bang I've heard in many a year. Birds erupted from trees, and had the grey heron not already have made his escape, he surely would have done so then. Being out in the country I assumed someone was firing a shotgun a little too close for comfort. Alas, when I returned to my bike I discovered I had a flat tyre. On closer inspection I saw several inches of the tyre wall had failed allowing the inner tube to burst through and explode! Never had that in 40+ years of cycling. Luckily I had some black insulation tape in my pannier - no idea why - but I taped up the tyre wall best I could, put in a new tube, and pumped it up to a massive 20 psi. Then limped home keeping as much weight over the front wheel as possible. Luckily I was only 10 miles from home.

This is where I was:

10114581966_e4685a966f.jpg

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I had the very same thing at the start of this year with a Schwalbe Marathon tyre. The retailer replaced it but wouldn't explain the reason for the failure.

GC

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had this before, mine went bang on a quiet country lane whilst I was riding in a group, it was caused by the beading parting company with the sidewall, a friend was carrying a tyre boot, a small length cut off an old tyre, and that got me to the cafe and home, since then I've always carried a tyre boot.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I had this one evening, in my lounge ! There I was, feet up on the sofa with my bike behind me and BANG. To say it only made me jump would be a lie and I couldn't possibly repeat the word/s that left my mouth ! The sidewall on a Michelin Pro3 Race had just given out. Although I was a bit miffed I'd lost a tyre, as it was the front wheel I was glad it happened when it did and not the morning after whilst on a 40mph local descent.
Maybe the bike thought "Why can't I sit on the sofa with him, I know, I'll show him...."

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I noticed a "nipple"sticking out of my front tyre the other week. It was the innertube,it'd found its way out at a point of the tyre that'd been worn down by badly fitted(by me:blush:) brake pads. The pads were only touching the tyre by a millimeter or so but it was enough to wear it thin enabling the tube to pop out. I decided to make my way gently to the local bike shop a few hundred yards up the road,but i should've walked instead as after a few yards the bang and hiss followed! The tyre was a Schwalbe Blizzard Sport,not the most expensive out there,but it'd only done about 300 miles.:cry:

Last edited:

Davidc

Guru
I had a nasty one a few years ago. I'd put a new inner tube in because the old one had failed where the valve joins on to it, and there was a very loud bang while I was in the local shop. The tube had escaped through a hole in the tyre. It did quite a bit of damage to the tyre too.

When I got home (pushing the bike) I went to put the old tube back, plus boot, to go and buy another tube and tyre, and realised that the hole corresponded to the position of a puncture repair on the old tube, and the patch had a definite stretched section on it.

The likely cause seemed to have been that the original puncture had put a significant hole in the tyre which had been filled up by a part of the repair patch. When the new tube went in it had stretched in the same way but with no patch, and exploded.

OP
OP
delb0y

delb0y

Legendary Member
Once I've got a new tyre I shall cut out a length of the old one and keep that in my pannier - good tip, Dave.

Meanwhile, my puncture woes continue. Went out in the garage this evening and found that sometime between when I made it home yesterday and this evening my front tyre has gone down. Sigh.

Top Bottom