Cateye Computer problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fudgepanda

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Thanks to this thread I have discovered the source of the problem with my Cateye Wireless cycle computer- my hub dynamo lights. When the lights are switched on, the speed suddenly shows as 0 mph. It's odd because I'm sure it has only just started doing this. I tried everything- changing batteries etc. I wish I'd found this thread before I ordered a new unit though as I just thought it was faulty! :wacko:.

I really like my dynamo lights and I'm disappointed I can no longer use them if I want to record my speed/ distance at the same time. If anyone has any ideas on solving this I'd be interested.

Thanks to this thread I have discovered the source of the problem with my Cateye Wireless cycle computer- my hub dynamo lights. When the lights are switched on, the speed suddenly shows as 0 mph. It's odd because I'm sure it has only just started doing this. I tried everything- changing batteries etc. I wish I'd found this thread before I ordered a new unit though as I just thought it was faulty! :wacko:.

I really like my dynamo lights and I'm disappointed I can no longer use them if I want to record my speed/ distance at the same time. If anyone has any ideas on solving this I'd be interested.
if its wireless and if you haven't tried it, try the sensor on the rear if its possible, just a thought.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
if its wireless and if you haven't tried it, try the sensor on the rear if its possible, just a thought.

Sounds like a good plan- I'll try that. The manual says the distance from the unit to the sensor should be no more than 70cm, which I think is about 2 foot 4 in English. It may be a little far on the rear, but I'll certainly give it a go- cheers.

I'm new to cycling but can I make a suggestion. Try putting a neodymium N52 magnet on the spoke magnet. I watched this video on YouTube before installing my Cateye Strada Slimline Wireless and bought some N52 magnets in advance:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epli7VveJ5c

My Cateye won't work without the neodymium magnet but works perfectly with. They cost around £5 for 25 on eBay. I know your issue is different from mine but I think it might fix it.

iaglarch

I followed the same steps that fudgepana has and the computer ID1 keeps flashing the ID #. I press the sensor reset button for a minute and then release. The computer then goes to the clock. I replaced the computer and the sensor with new Engergizer 2032 Lithium batteries. Should I select all clear and start over or attempt to purchase a new sensor? Thank you.

froze

Über Member
I've had very poor luck with wireless computers, the sending unit seems to be the villain in all my cases, I've had 3 different Cateye models, a PlanetBike, Sigma, and now a VDO (that lasted longer than the others did, I think that one had 6,000 miles on it) that all went bad with less than 2,000 miles on most of them. I haven't tried the some of the newer offerings but I won't either because of the high failure rate. If you don't want any fancy features and just sort of a plain bike computer like the Velo you had I would go wired and I would go with Sigma, the quality of the buttons feel better than any other brand I've owned or played with, and I have two wired Sigmas, one on my wife's bike and one on one my bikes and they are both 14 years old and still working just fine with just a simple occasional battery change to keep them running. If you want something fancy then you have no choice but to have a wireless system.

Another good basic computer is the Cateye Enduro 8, this one has a heavy duty wire but I've never had any issues with pulling out a wire from thinner wired units and you won't either as long as there is enough slack in the wire to make the handlebars turn full right and left without pulling on the wire, but just in case you worry about such things there is the answer for it; however the buttons on it have that same cheap plastic contact feeling to it like all the Cateyes have. Lezyne makes fantastic bike pumps, not sure if that translates to fantastic computers since I have not tried any of their computers. I had a wired computer that lasted over 20 years and with over 150,000 miles on it when a wire connector corroded away, but alas this world doesn't want you to keep things that long.

Top Bottom