Cateye Computer problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wardy

I've been using a Cateye Velo Wireless computer for about 1500 miles and it has started playing up. When I test it before a run by spinning the front wheel it appears to be working ok but then during the run it will intermittently stop showing speed/distance etc. I've replaced the batteries in the sender and main unit but this didn't resolve the problem. Surely I should expect to get more mileage out of it?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont want to teach you to eggs but have you made sure the wheel magnet and sender are as close together as they can be and are secure.

Steve

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

I dont want to teach you to eggs but have you made sure the wheel magnet and sender are as close together as they can be and are secure.
Steve
Yes Steve, any closer and they'd be clipping each other. I even thought that perhaps the spoke the magnet was attached to had loosened, but no.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Can't help but yes, not counting batteries, the unit should have a better shelf life, as it were.

Are the magnet and sender thingy parallel to one another as they pass?

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

Thanks for the various suggestions. Both batteries have been changed, magnet and sender are (unchanged) parallel, and sender/computer are in their usual position of fork blade/handlebars. I can still scroll thru the different options and as I said, if I spin the front wheel it will register speed on the computer. Given all of that, one would expect it to operate normally and I find it weird that I'm getting intermittent operation as I'm cycling along. The only thing I can think of that's changed recently is the inclusion of a Cateye Volt 300 front light which is mounted on the handlebars. Is it possible that it's interfering with the computer? Prior to fitting this light I had a weaker Cateye TL-LD135/155 light which I mainly used on flash.

compo

Veteran
You may be onto something with your query about your lights. I use a Btwin computer, and a Cree T6 lamp. If I have the battery cable nearer than about two inches from the computer all sorts of strange things happen to the display. Not a problem now I know what it is!

CRVFR

I have had similar issues on two occasions with my Velo Wireless when using my Cateye LED front light on flashing mode, they are fitted pretty close to each other, but reset the Cateye a couple of weeks ago & it has been fine since then.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you re-paired the units ? I.e. run the pairing sequence since changing batteries. Worth doing.

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

Just did an experiment spinning front wheel with light on and off and voila! Light on = computer doesn't work. Light off = computer works. Seems to be down to proximity too. If I take the computer off its mount (which is very near to the light) and hold it in my hand on the opposite side of the bars to the light, it works ok. Might try your pairing thing though fossyant to see if that helps. Thanks for the other inputs too.

My Cateye Strada Double Wireless gave up the ghost after 10 months. Changed batteries in both computer and speed cadence sensor; still didn't work. Back to LBS who sent it off to Zylo (UK Cateye distributor) awaiting arrival of replacement. Something happens to these when you mess with them when your batteries run out. Not good enough! Good product otherwise.

fudgepanda

I had one fitted by the LBS I bought the bike from so I didn't set it up myself. Because of this I have never seen the instruction book so l don't even know which model it is, except that it states Cateye Velo on the readout case. lt must be a basic model as it only gives total and trip distances, time of day and time ridden as well as average and maximum speed. I've only used it for about 350 miles and the other week, just like the other member, the readout was still visible showing the total miles covered and the time, but not the actual speed and distance I was cycling at the time. I've also checked the alignment of the magnet and sender and repositioned the magnet from just above the sender to just below it and every millimetre in between as well as changing the battery in the sender unit but not the bar mounted computer. There are no other devices on the bars. On the battery cover it says: "Battery Reset press AC" There is a micro button marked "AC" just below and another alongside it which states: "Set". I'm not sure if one of these should be pressed when one or both of the batteries are replaced. Interested in fossyant's comment above.....if only l knew what it meant. Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
its quite possible your lights could be generating electromagnetic interference. Especially on low output/flashing setting. Low output is often pulsed so fast that it is perceived as always on but dimmer. Try positioning the light further away if you can

Top Bottom