Cateye Front Light Mount type H32

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
In the dark I like to have both dynamo and battery lights, and to be able to ride safely up to about 15 mph.

I have been using a mounted torch for some time as one of the front lights, but decided to upgrade to a purpose made bike light, the EL530 which happened to be on a good offer.

I'd read in reviews that the mounting supplied is not very good, so I looked into alternatives, and found on Cateye's web site that they sell a much better one at a reasonable price, found the cheapest stockist and bought one. The bracket

Next, to satisfy myself that it worked, I set it up with the original bracket, put the new bracket in my handllebar bag, and went for a pint - at the other end of the Taunton and Bridgewater canal, via NCN4 (mainly the towpath and quite rough).

As predicted in most reviews it soon started slipping. Five minutes along the canal and it had adopted a straight up and down posture, No amount of tightening would persuade it to stay where it was put for more than 30 seconds. Gave up - took it off the handlebars as it was in the way, and carried on. Good thing it was broad daylight.

I arrived at the Boat & Anchor about an hour after setting off, and bought a pint of good beer from Exmoor. I sat outside, and received strange looks as I mounted the H32 bracket plus the light, and set the light as close as possible to a horizontal beam.

To cateye's credit I didn't need any tools to remove one and install the other. Just fingers.

Pint downed, off I went, back the way I'd come. 12 miles of vibration, pot holes, and bumps. (Thanks Sustrans!)

With no adjustment at all the light beam was still as close as I could tell (without getting silly with spirit levels and lasers) still horizontal.

On the basis of this not entirely rigorous but reasonable test The H32 bracket works well. I've needed lights several times since, but apart from adjusting the light down a bit after that test, haven't needed to reset the bracket at all.

What I'd like to know is WHY DID I HAVE TO BUY IT? WHY CAN'T CATEYE PUT ONE IN THE PACKET WITH THE LIGHT INSTEAD OF THE ONE THEY NOW SUPPLY?

I know the new bracket was fairly cheap, but that's irrelevant. In my opinion to be fit for purpose the mounting for a bike light needs to remain stable and as set up when its bike is ridden along a recognised cycle route. The original doesn't manage that along a smooth tarmac road!

Cateye already make a bracket which works well. The H32. They should use it. Not doing so degrades an otherwise excellent product, the EL530.

N.B. The links above are illustrative. The cheapest source for these products changes over time.

Top Bottom