Cateye Velo wireless computer, magnet too far away from sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GREECE

I am 78 years of age and happy to say that currently even after having a full knee replacement 10 years ago and now have a dodgy hip, I am able to go on my daily 10 mile ride on my 26" foldup electric bike.

Its always difficult to know how far I have gone and have bought a very cheap computer just to measure my speed and distance. It is a cateye velo wireless. After reading the instructions it advises that the maximum distance between the magnet fastened to the spoke and the sensor is 5mm, but the distance between my spokes and the fork is 5CM which means I cant fit it, I would appreciate any suggestions ,, thank you

Last edited:
By the time the magnet is on the spoke it will stick out a bit - which takes care of some of it
Then the detector sticks out a bit from the fork as well - which is normally (In my experience) a bit more
then you generally find that both are angled so that they are closer at the top

If that doesn;t work I have a little trick the normally helps
I get an old inner tube, cut it in half and cut an inch or so off the end - then cut it length ways so it is a strip of rubber
then put it around the frame at a suitable point so that the ends overlap and the strip is a little bit tight
You can then dab a bit of superglue on the ends and press them together - making sure the glue does not get on the frame

it can be easily removed if you need to - and adding a few more strips is also easy.

this will put the detector a little bit closer to the magnet

I normally use this to stop accessories - such as a bell with a metal band - scratching my handlebars and/or slipping round - but I have also used tit to make metal tubes a bit wider when something doesn;t fit properly

hope this helps

Oh - extra thought - if that doesn;t work - look for a different magnet that is bigger - they are very cheap on the WWW and all sorts of shapes are available

Top Bottom