Catrike 700 ordered in Hyper Yellow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Very nice.

I see you've got the same make of handbrake as me :hello:

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I'd be interested in how you find the seat. I'm not sure how comfortable it is, with the thickness and angles of the tubing.
The seat is very comfortable. Lumbar support is fine for me and they've (unnecessarily) added some padding to the seat cover around the seat rails. The seat does not lock you into one position. It's possible to sit further back in a more upright position or to move forward and be more reclined. I've not been out on it yet but I'm expecting use of the headrest to require dialling in. The decision is whether to use the headrest all the time, none of the time, or on occasion and setting its position accordingly. I don't know at this stage whether I'd tolerate contact with the headrest all the time given that I wear a helment, so the straps at the back get pulled by the contact. I shall try initially sitting more upright and resting my head only periodically, That will also help with looking through my varifocals.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I think @Cunobelin posted somewhere :scratch: that it is more of a neck-rest than a head-rest, though that will depend on the type of bike/trike/seat. Mine is definitely a headrest - and I use it to ensure my neck is nicely stretched out, then I drop my shoulders and relax, thus taking the strain off my right shoulder, which is why I (had to go) went 'bent 3 years ago ! :biggrin:

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
My Bell Muni helmet is cut high at the back so the neck-rest can support the base of skull without interfering with the helmet shell. It doesn't have an adjustment dial at the back to get in the way of the rest either.

I had the same helmet/neckrest issue - solved by my LBS with a Lazer Neon helmet. There's no tensioner dial - instead, tensioning is by a couple of wires and a thumbwheel on top of the lid. Works perfectly - not that I wear the helmet much on the recumbent!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Nice looking bit of kit in that colour. I like how you had to chock the rear wheel to stop it spontaneously tearing away at speed.

Either that, or your kitchen floor ain't level.:whistle:

If you have problems with it moving when mounting/dismounting, a loop of inner tube round the grip was my 'handbrake' on the 700. The trice has the luxury of a rear disc, but tube does the same job.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
You're right, the floor is not quite level - but only a fraction. I've been fitting reflectors and lights and a bottle cage. Went to put the rear wheel in a stand to adjust the gears and it was rubbing on the mudguard after releasing the QR. After a bit of head scratching I identified that the mudguard had shifted. The planet bike fender has sliders and a screw to hold the slider, and that had slipped. Too tired to do the gear adjustment now so it'll be a job for tomorrow. I ought to weigh the trike now it's kitted out for use.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I checked and tweaked the gears tonight, and replaced the rear QR with a Pinhead lockable skewer. Then brought down the bathroom scales and with 2 paperback books weighed each wheel in turn - 8.5 lbs for the rear and 26 lbs for front (12.5 plus 13.5). Seems about right since I've taken some bits off and put some bits on. That's about 5lbs lighter than the ICE Sprint 26 I had and about the same as my old Catrike Speed with an upgrade to a 700 rear wheel using the Utah Trikes wheel extensions. Time to ride it I think. ^_^

Top Bottom