Cats and laser pens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
Somehow the stray cat that lived outside has now taken permanent residence in my humble abode. It started with him just being restricted to the kitchen but as the weeks have past he's somehow wormed his way into the house.
As things have gone, I've grown quite attached to him and look forward to seeing him when I get home from work. I had to let my elderly Jack Russell go to my ex wife ,and to this day I miss my dog deeply. We were inseparable and went everywhere together. The little dog would often come with me when I went Kayaking on the lake and sit in front of me enjoying our evening paddle across the lake. She also used come cycling with me I kid you not. She would get all excited when I got the bike out knowing we where going off somewhere. She would jump into my ruck sack and rest her head on my shoulders as we cycled along the coastline.. Well those days are long gone now and will never see her again sadly ,but as they say as one door closes another one opens.
In this instance, it's the cat..
He often follows me down to the pub which is a good quarter a mile away and waits for me to fall out the door at kicking out time to ambush me.
As time has gone on I've bought him a cat bed that hangs off the radiator and a few toys that he completely ignores.
One thing he really likes though is the cat teaser laser pen I bought from B&M stores. He chases the red dot everywhere he can get to. Tonight he's been out doing his neighbourhood patrols and when I spotted him in the field from my bedroom I grabbed his attention with the laser pen. I had him running up and down the field for an age chasing the dot off the laser which looked hilarious. When other cat came along he also joined in the chase. I wish I could of filmed it and shared it with you as looked so funny.
Anyway I've babbled on enough now so have yourselves a good night and a great weekend :-) :-)

Drago

Legendary Member
Years back I had a rescue cat, a lovable old tabby. She also eschewed posh cat beds, much preferring to nest on my smelly socks. She would go doolally chasing the reflection off my watch glass up and down the walls. Bless her.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
We used to play a game with our cats using the laser pen. I called it "kitty skittles". Save nine of your old plastic drinking yogurt pots and lay them out on the kitchen floor like ninepins. Then whip your cat into a frenzy with the laser pen in the hall and make the light veer off suddenly into the kitchen and beyond the pots. Wait for the scrambling noise, followed by the scattering of pots and the dull thud as the cat slides into the kitchen units. Archie absolutely loved it. The trouble is, after the first couple of strikes, he learned how to get through them without ever knocking any down again. They are quick learners, so the fun doesn't last long!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cats love laser pens. Safest are the low powered pet ones you can pick up from a quid at the pet isle in the super market. Won't work in a field at distance though.

Our little rescue is settling in but needs a fair amount of treatment with a sore inflamed mouth. Other than that he is a happy little chap.

gbb

Legendary Member
Do not do it with a dog would be my recommendation.
My son got a pup border collie and found it hilarious as it chased the laserpen dot around.
It may not be connected but now its grown up (and ever since we suggested the laser pen wasn' a good idea) the dog frequently chases imaginary shadows, light...something but nothing. It's bloomin nuts, almost like it's got mental problems.

Top Bottom