Cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
wafflycat said:
The wider issues - well those are dealt with by responsible pet ownership which I'd already referred to in previous postings on this thread - neutering etc.

I suppose if you don't feed your cats it is... :biggrin:

Mr Pig

Arch said:
cats... only learn about traffic once it's too late...

See, cars are not all bad ;0)

Cats are a pollution. They're not natural animals, they're a man-made aberration, have no place in the food chain and serve no purpose. Apart from looking cute and pissing off everyone except the people who own them.

It's true though that you can learn many valuable lessons from keeping a cat. For instance, that it doesnt matter how much love and attention you give to them they will never give a s*** about you. Ideal training for any prospective wife! ;0)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Mr Pig said:

Cats are a pollution. They're not natural animals, they're a man-made aberration, have no place in the food chain and serve no purpose. Apart from looking cute and pissing off everyone except the people who own them.

ahmen brother pig

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Pig said:

Er, cats are not 'man made'. Domesticated yes, but only as much as your namesakes, as FFFF points out... And domesticated mostly because hunting is what they do best - vermin control. Their other purpse being companionship of course. I don't own one, but they don't piss me off and I know plenty of people who feel the same, so your 'everyone' statement is false too...

In fact, perhaps less domesticated than pigs. My supervisor (who has 2 cats) reckons it's actually cats that have domesticated humans....

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Arch said:
In fact, perhaps less domesticated than pigs. My supervisor (who has 2 cats) reckons it's actually cats that have domesticated humans....

There is actually a serious evolutionary biology point there - there is a an argument that becoming domesticated animals, pets confers an evolutionary advantage and also alters the characteristics of the domesticator etc. I think there was a pop science book on it a few years ago.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Flying_Monkey said:
There is actually a serious evolutionary biology point there - there is a an argument that becoming domesticated animals, pets confers an evolutionary advantage and also alters the characteristics of the domesticator etc. I think there was a pop science book on it a few years ago.

Knowing Terry, he'll have been well aware of that.

Perhaps the most mindbending suggestion though, is one I saw made in David Attenborough's Life of Plants that 'grass' as a family of plants had done very nicely out of the human race and the invention of farming. He didn't go as far as to say grass had used us, but it made you think about man's relationship with the world from a different angle...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Pig said:
Your supervisor? So he has two stars? ;0)

Ha ha.

As a matter of fact, anyone who knows him acknowledges him as one of the cleverest people they know. On virtually any topic. And a really nice guy to boot...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Here is a good one for you - if you have a neighbour that you don't like, spray their bin bags with cat nip (pet shops sell it - it's a plant extract) - let's just say it's like speed for a cat - they go loopy - bin bag shredded in seconds.

We used to have a few catmint plants in the garden, but you can guess, they don't last long - was for our cats really !

Mr Pig

Arch said:
anyone who knows him acknowledges him as one of the cleverest people they know...

But he thinks that cats domesticated humans? Sounds like two-star thinking to me ;0)

I like the sound of the cat nip. You could spray it in the middle of the motorway.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Pig said:
But he thinks that cats domesticated humans? Sounds like two-star thinking to me ;0)

Yeah, you know, some people like to, you know, joke, it's like, funny?

Although, as FM points out, the process of domestication isn't a simple one way one...

Top Bottom