Cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bug

Back to the original topic - I have this problem too. The bird population in my garden has gone down significantly since some new neighbours and their cat moved in. No matter how many times I chase it away, it still comes back. Another one craps in the bark chippings in my front garden. I am going to try a super soaker to see if that makes a difference. Perhaps I'll add red dye to worry the owners into keeping it closer to home somehow... (that last bit was a joke, BTW, before I'm reported to the RSPCA!)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I have two bits of advice.

Get a dog and give it the run of the garden. It won't eat birds, but it will keep the garden free of cats. (You do, of course, have the obligation of feeding it, walking it, etc. etc. You have to decide which you like least: dead birds and cat crap, or looking after a dog).

As Sheddy says, get a powerful water pistol, or use a hose. This method does require you to keep watch for cats and squirt 'em when you see 'em. But it's quite fun.

We had a lot of trouble at one time with a neighbour's cat that would let itself in and help itself to our cat's food - growling our poor dog into submission to do son't. We tried the water pistol trick, but it kept on coming. We caught it one day and carefully dunked it in a bucket of cold water. It was quite keen to leave after that. It was back the next day, so it got another cold bath (obviously the first one hadn't done it any material harm, but it must have been a very stupid cat). Then it stopped coming.

wafflycat

Dannyg said:
In contrast the cats are already pretty well fed so tend to use any birds they've captured as playthings.

They're not actually playthings. Really. The domestic cat is a mixed up creature thanks to we humans. We humans keep the cat in a mental state of semi-kittenhood, and as many a kitten is not actually taught to hunt by its feline mother, many grow up to be hunters of less than an efficient nature. What you see as a cat 'playing' is a p!$$-poor hunter, acting like a kitten learning how to hunt efficiently. It's behaving exactly like a kitten does when being taught to hunt by its mother. It's brain is telling it to do adult cat things properly (hunt) but it hasn't got the skills to be completely efficient at delivering the killing bite quickly. Quite often it's the male cats that are less efficient at delivering the killing bite swiftly.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Whatever the reason, there are too many domestic cats in Britain and they have an enormous impact on bird life. Personally I like cats, but I am firmly of the opinion that people should be allowed no more than one cat or dog per household, and that they must be neutered, with only licensed breeders allowed to breed limited numbers. There is of course the other massive issue of petfood - the devastation of sea life would be much less without the huge amount of protein that is required for the domestic petfood industry, never mind the ethics of devoting so much to feeding (and clothing!) domestic pets whilst there are people starving and wild species being wiped out.

Basically, my advice to anyone would be, unless you have some compelling need (a disabled kid or a lonely elderly relative), don't get a pet.

If cats had scales we'd shoot them for the vermin they are. I recommend a .410 - it has less kick-back and noise than a 12-bore, and is easier to break down and hide in your wellington boot.

Failing that, bowls of Jeyes fluid will deter cats as it masks the scents that they use to communicate. When they can't smell who is top cat, they get confused and nervous, and sod off. It has stopped them fouling our garden. Whether it will work with hunting cats I don't know.

Wolf04

You could try the big cat option.
http://www.cat-repellant.info/html/silent-roar.htm
No idea as to its effectiveness.

My cat 'Trouble' was a second hand cat. We got on very well, living on 4th floor meant I use to have to take her for walks. She was obviously a master hunter because now and again she would wander off catch a bird then jump over a fence so I couldn't get to her and eat it. All was well (except the birds) Until she came into season (yes I had asked) Off she went and came back four days later with the local toms following (god they were ugly). I found homes for the expected arrivals but they never arrived. One of the few infertile cats around. We fine tuned the arrangement where she would go out for 24 hours then come back for food and a rest then out again. She was without a doubt unique and knew her place (BOSS).
Long gone now sad to say.

Mr Pig

Flying_Monkey said:
my advice to anyone would be ... don't get a pet.

I agree in principal. It says a lot about the priorities of some people when they'll spend a fortune keeping a dog yet to sod all to help their fellow humans.

Having said that, our rabbits are really nice :0)

wafflycat

Flying_Monkey said:
Basically, my advice to anyone would be, unless you have some compelling need (a disabled kid or a lonely elderly relative), don't get a pet.

I disagree, having a pet teaches a body how to care for another living object. There's much work goes on at a shelter near me with offenders from a nearby prison working in the shelter - the results are excellent. Pets can teach a human a kind of unconditional love in the sense that a pet doesn't give a toss as to whether or not you have the most expensive ar, a highly paid job, loads of money in the bank, what dress size you are or whether or not you have a huge 'member' in the case of blokes owning pets. My experience is that if a child can grow up learning to take care of a pet, then he or she learns valuable lessons on responsibility for others and for caring for another life. This is valuable for learning to care for people too. There's also work done in the States that show that those who abuse animals can go on to abuse people...

buddha

Veteran
From my experience, the presence of a small child (preferably of the bousterous nature) is enough to deter any sensible cat. Well, that's what happens when my 3 year old nephew visits. Five minutes before he arrives my cat scarpers (sixth sence and all that). A couple of minutes after he's gone, the cat's back
Maybe you can hire/buy/produce one. And best of luck!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I totally agree with Waffly here - we have 3 cats, number 3 was a kitten 12 months ago - No 1 and 2 weren't impressed, but it's meant out two kids look after the older ones better, and no 3 gets all the squeezes (very tolerant).

Also having pets is known to increase kids immune systems because of a few extra germs, so not a bad thing. I'm lucky our 3 aren't big hunters....

To get rid of a pesky cat - a super soaker is the best - I've had to use it on some roaming toms - hardly ever get them, but it's the only way you can give them a quick scare.

Don't forget citrus peelings in the soil - that will help stop them, how about cocoa shells rather than wood bark - that works.

longers

Legendary Member
DannyG - Sheddy's water pistol idea is a good option. I've had to discourage the local feral tom cat from pestering attacking my three since they moved in recently. It's taken a few pints of water being lobbed at it but it's done the trick with no harm done.

Melvil - Waffly makes lots of important suggestions about caring for cats. I agree strongly with the suggestion of getting a "rescue" cat or kitten - there are far too many being abandoned. Things may be worse now as she says but they have always been bad. Neutering is a must in my opinion, you don't want to be adding to the unwanted cat problem and neutered cats are easier to have around - no spraying, less territorial and no "season" for them. Quite a few rescue centres get the animals automatically neutered before they get re-homed.

If you do get one, my advice is not to spend money on cat toys. They'll play with what they want, when they want and a rolled up bit of tinfoil or a piece of string with a knot in one end are as good as anything I've seen for sale.

peanut

Aperitif said:
Make good friends with them...in a 'loving moment' - in your garden of course - gently massage a nice poultice of powdered, mixed Coleman's Mustard on the cat's bum.

Bye bye cat.;)
that sort of cruelty wouldn't be acceptable if someone did it to your dog. !

Top Bottom