cattle grids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the circular hollow section jobbies should be left well alone. Tees or RSJ items are fine, but - take them at 90 degrees and don't push if you slow and they are wet.

lukesdad

I cross cattle grids every day virtualy and am still wary of them latest casualty, computer lost after hitting one at speed. ...but then im just a pussy :sad:

Reactions: 4F

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Could be, have you one of those fancy smartphones? Try scanning it! Don't blame me if you end up on some dodgy website though!

ianjmcd

Über Member
dont seem to get many cattle grids in rural renfrewshire but when i have came across one i tend to slow down slightly and try to bunny hop as much as im able

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Always hit them square.
Always warn the rest of the group as they might not have seen it.
Never brake on them.
Never turn on them (you'd be surprised).

And I.. Er.. Have been known to jump them when I have no one on my wheel. :whistle:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Always hit them square.
Always warn the rest of the group as they might not have seen it.
Never brake on them.
Never turn on them (you'd be surprised).
Especially important if wet.
I don't jump them, and I've never yet damaged self or bike as a result of crossing them at all kinds of speeds. And there are a lot in the New Forest.

Herbie

Veteran
what do you do when you come across a cattle grid? Do you ride over it at speed, slow down or dismount and walk across it? I am still unsure about what to do. Can going over it at speed buckle the wheels? I see many riders do that but I wonder about the long term effect.

always come off and walk over them me

D

Deleted member 1258

As other have said, 90% and a sensible pace.
I'm a bit wary of them these days having had a nasty moment on one a couple of summers ago, cycling up the old gated road from Chesterton to the b4100 I approached the grid at a steady pace and hit it at 90% but as I rode off it the back of the bike whipped round and for a couple of seconds I was doing a good impression of a speedway rider whilst looking for a soft spot in the scenery, fortunately I was able to gather it up and continue with my ride.

Top Bottom