Cattle Grids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kewb

usually just ride over them ,square bar ones are smoother than the round pole ones though
i hate those ones at the bottom of a hill on a slight bend always scared a wheel get trapped .

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I just go straight over them at a reasonable speed. I tend to reposition my weight slightly further back, not sure why I just feel safer.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There's a cautionary tale about an off-roader descending a long fast track in Scotland - an old military road. Too late he realised that the grid at the bottom was laid the wrong way round, with the bars parallel to the track.

Mike A

I've got a few on my regular routes - some have tightly spaced bars and are fine to cruise over. Others have missing, out of parallel, or widely spaced bars that I have to ride over at deadslow. So far, I've remembered which are which :laugh:

battered

Guru
I had a scary moment on a wet cattle grid a few years back. Keep it straight, carry some speed and unweighting the front is a very good idea. That way if the front washes out (as mine did) you can pick the front wheel up and more easily point it where you want it to go. If you are leaning on it then if it washes out you will follow it and are stuck.

kewb

Ian H said:
There's a cautionary tale about an off-roader descending a long fast track in Scotland - an old military road. Too late he realised that the grid at the bottom was laid the wrong way round, with the bars parallel to the track.

ouch ,
stuff of nightmares that .

Ian H said:
Nah that was Magnatom and the Tak Ma Doon Road and it was a ford not a cattle grid ;)

Top Bottom