Cattle Market Road Bristol - Polite request to fellow cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
For cyclists in Bristol, access through here is still possible but you are politely asked by the signs to dismount as the northern side of the road is actually a pavement. So it's actually illegal to ride along it, however, convenient. Needless to say, 99% of cyclists I see every day ignore the signs and ride on the pavement, which only gives ammunition to the Bristol Post and their usual anti-cycling rants As I was approaching the access ramp this morning, I stopped to dismount when a male cyclist on a road bike, too close to my rear, collided with me:angry:. Listen up people - don't ride up the a**e of another cyclist as they might stop. I almost clouted someone in the face with my foot as I swung it over the saddle dismounting last week as some dingbat did the same thing. Rant over.

subaqua

What’s the point
For cyclists in Bristol, access through here is still possible but you are politely asked by the signs to dismount as the northern side of the road is actually a pavement. So it's actually illegal to ride along it, however, convenient. Needless to say, 99% of cyclists I see every day ignore the signs and ride on the pavement, which only gives ammunition to the Bristol Post and their usual anti-cycling rants As I was approaching the access ramp this morning, I stopped to dismount when a male cyclist on a road bike, too close to my rear, collided with me:angry:. Listen up people - don't ride up the a**e of another cyclist as they might stop. I almost clouted someone in the face with my foot as I swung it over the saddle dismounting last week as some dingbat did the same thing. Rant over.

depends on the signage type , on whether it is illegal or not . Chapter 3 of the road signs manual https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le/223943/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-03.pdf gives all the guidance

from googlemaps , and this may be out of date , it looks a shared use pathway . I haven't seen any planning notices revoking this for the works via googling although i have found others in Bristol.

It also seems that Chapter 8 of the traffic signs manual which deals with roadworks has not taken into account D.3.32.19 for specifics https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...9/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-08-part-01.pdf.

my guess is that it is a red advisory sign . had it been a blue one then yes.

However, common sense should prevail and if it is busy then jump off and push .

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

The pavement runs outside the old post office, which is the only access through at present. The cyclepath runs along the south side of the road but is still closed due to the earth works etc. My rant was directed at people who cycle too close to one’s rear end and collide when you stop. It’s a fail on their part not to anticipate this. I found myself apologising to the guy who collided with me this morning but then quickly realised that I was in the right, by dismounting. Not my fault some cycle too close!.
A few weeks ago, it was down to one little metre-wide lane, winding over some board that they laid down over all the pits that were excavated to expose buried services. Astonishingly, silly people were still trying to cycle through, including a guy behind me who caught his pannier strap on the heras fence and almost came off!.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

A shared use sign at the end where the numpty who ran into me this week has appeared. Oddly enough, cyclists dismount signs are still at the other end:blush:.

I would have retaliated!

Anyway if I have to ride along a pavement or cycle patch (to avoid a large roundabout in my case) then its not that hard to give walkers a wide berth, give way etc. Dont necessarily need to dismount, common sense will suffice. That said, if it was rammed with people then you wouldnt be able to cycle there anyway.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

This morning, I stopped at the Temple Meads end, outside the entrance to the wood reclamation yard to allow some guys in a truck towing a trailer to do a 3 point turn so that they were facing the right way (it actually turned out to be a 7 point turn. Ever reversed with a trailer?). I was dismayed by my fellow cyclists, it has to be said those on road bikes, who would not stop to allow these guys to turn safely. They kept squeezing in between the front of the truck and the fence on the other side of the road to get through. Twits:angry:. The look on the drivers face said it all.

Top Bottom