Caught Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
My Mum got sent on one of those courses - her main gripe was you had to attend the course in the Police force area that the offence was committed, she was away on holiday when it happened so had to do a 700 mile round trip to do a day course a few weeks later.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had a good incentive. Several years in roads policing scraping brains off the tarmac taught me the dangers of misbehaving, and the potential for separate disciplinary action at work was double incentive to be good. Driving utterly within the limit is second nature now.
Bit different to how the 'dibble' used to be then, a Detective Constable who was a mate of mine (the same guy who 'had' me on a roundabout by being a couple of inches from my rear wheel when he sounded his horn) once took myself and my girlfriend along with his girlfriend (Glynis' best mate) from Foxton (where Viv's parents lived) to Skegness in less than a hour (its just over 80 miles for those who don't know)

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
My Mum got sent on one of those courses - her main gripe was you had to attend the course in the Police force area that the offence was committed, she was away on holiday when it happened so had to do a 700 mile round trip to do a day course a few weeks later.
I don't think that's the case nowadays. I was snapped in Cumbria and did the course in Manchester.

keithmac

Guru
Apparently Admiral load the policy for speed awareness course the same as actually 3 points and a fine.

Read about it this week, it's one of the questions you have to answer before accepting online quotations..

I heard that fine for speeding now is related to how much you earn. I think it is week wages.
Or was the offence occurred before the new rules come in to force?

Archeress

Veteran
Apparently Admiral load the policy for speed awareness course the same as actually 3 points and a fine.

Read about it this week, it's one of the questions you have to answer before accepting online quotations..
They're not the only ones, I used to work for a broker and most of them do this.

Hugs
Archeress x

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
There are 11 people working in my office, nine have done the speed awareness course and one doesn't drive. It's difficult to find a driver that hasn't done the course these days.
I haven't done a speed awareness course and have had a surprisingly clean licence for much of my driving career despite enthusiastically driving 40kpa for a large portion of my adult life and also being a bit of what would commonly be called a 'petrol head'! It is an oft quoted phrase that speeding fines are a tax on the stupid and I do have some sympathy with that view.
By the way, I bet it isn't your first driving faux pas in 40 years - what you mean is it's the first time you've been caught. I'm pleased to report that I've had a clean licence for over 30 years but I wouldn't dream of claiming I've been a perfect driver in all that time.
This∆∆∆∆∆∆
Accepting that I am not a perfect driver makes me far better (but not perfect!).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Do we really need the personal attacks

My experience was 35 in a 30

Could not understand that, so went back on the bike to look at the site

Yes there was. a 30mph sign, but totally obscured by vegetation

Sorted on appeal

The assumption that all speeding offences are deliberate is really really rather unrealistic
Firstly, that attack's not personal.

Secondly, if you were cleared on appeal then that wasn't a speeding offence.

Thirdly, frankly, I don't care whether someone's speeding deliberately or because their pet cat got onto the accelerator pedal - it's still bringing too much kinetic energy into the situation and the vehicle is their responsibility. More motorists should accept reasonability honourably and stop trying to deflect and minimise it, such as suggesting that everyone's breaking the law.

The last time I sped deliberately was on my driving test. I passed :thumbsdown:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Having worked in car insurance I can confirm that this is what happens.

Hugs
Archeress x

I spent a couple of hours yesterday on comparison websites and subsequently purchased two policies. None of the 150+ companies the comparison sites claim to search ask for information regarding speed awareness courses.

The company I eventually chose, Saga, didn't ask during a phone conversation.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Also if it's a company pool car, double check the dates & times you had the car.

If it's anything like our place there will be a record of who's had which pool car & when just incase it was someone else who also had the car on the same day.

My company car was, like most, on contract. One day my boss passed me a notification I'd been caught doing 88 in a 60. I knew the road, which was over 100 miles away, and knew I wouldn't have driven at that speed on it.

It took me several days to realise I hadn't even been in the area at the time. Eventually the penny dropped that I'd taken delivery of a new car and the offence was committed by the new owner.

My company car was, like most, on contract. One day my boss passed me a notification I'd been caught doing 88 in a 60. I knew the road, which was over 100 miles away, and knew I wouldn't have driven at that speed on it.

It took me several days to realise I hadn't even been in the area at the time. Eventually the penny dropped that I'd taken delivery of a new car and the offence was committed by the new owner.

There is also deliberate cloning where the plate of a similar car is used so that it passes cursory inspection and all the offences go to the poor dupe whose craws cloned.

A colleague at work was a victim of this.

Fortunately we were able to prove the whereabouts of them and their car in several cases which were dropped, but it took time to sort

It eventually stopped as suddenly as it had started. presumably the plates were changed regularly

Drago

Legendary Member
If its a police speeding ticket cloned plates are easy. The dibble will check the ANPR records and they'll usually show the same number plate simultaneously moving about in different parts of the country.

TVC

I haven't done a speed awareness course and have had a surprisingly clean licence for much of my driving career despite enthusiastically driving 40kpa for a large portion of my adult life and also being a bit of what would commonly be called a 'petrol head'! It is an oft quoted phrase that speeding fines are a tax on the stupid and I do have some sympathy with that view.

This∆∆∆∆∆∆
Accepting that I am not a perfect driver makes me far better (but not perfect!).
I had driven for 32 years without penalty, no parking tickets and not even a scratch on any car I have driven. I was caught doing 36 in a 30. I was on an unfamiliar road with a 40 limit when though distraction I missed the limit change to 30. I passed the camera van fully confident that I was well within the limit. A mistake and nothing more, but a mistake I accept.

I'm sorry that you think that I and the many others are stupid, but please carry on in your smugness until the day that you make a mistake too.

Top Bottom