Cause of bogus Strava recording?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
One thing Strava should allow for is an user to be able the delete an individual segment record of there's when they spot it is wrong or plainly pointless because they stopped for some time.

Sharky

Guru
One thing Strava should allow for is an user to be able the delete an individual segment record of there's when they spot it is wrong or plainly pointless because they stopped for some time.
There is one segment on our evening 10 course which really annoys me.
It's called "first mike approx"!
It should have been "first mile approx"

No offence like, but who really gives the tiniest of shitz? Maybe it's just when her e-bike steps in to help?

I am looking forward to the reaction from the right-on brigade you are going to get for doubting a woman could do it though :popcorn:

I am almost hoping the lady in question turns out to be trans-gender :whistle:
I didn't know you were into bike jousting. You sure showed that windmill, though!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I once forgot to restart my ride after stopping at the shops. When I realised, I started recording again. On uploading the ride I had a few KOMS. I just marked the ride as private, that way the ride doesn't appear on the leaderboards.

Chislenko

Veteran
@Two-Wheels

Welcome, you will either get used to the self righteous brigade or decide not to bother posting again.

FWIW I see many questionable Strava times, so now I just judge against my own previous times, at least I know they are correct, slow but correct!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Some women will go to any lengths to get a QOM :laugh:
I don't care much for KOMs nowadays, but one of the ones I still have is a his 'n hers. I have the KOM (2mins 42) & my wife has the QOM (3mins 9) she had actually been out horse riding & was coming home in the horesbox & still slower than me ^_^ she's held it for 6 years now & it's never been flagged

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

I probably haven't cycled enough to come across this, or maybe I'm just blind and haven't spotted it.
I've seen errors in that the GPS lines have had me cycling through bushes but I just figured that pretty much all GPS units will have varying degrees of error but that overall the times would be correct.

There is one segment on our evening 10 course which really annoys me.
It's called "first mike approx"!
It should have been "first mile approx"
Yeah this is actually one of the things that kept me going out on the bike in the earlier days - segments.
I bought a bike, went out a few times and then didn't do anything for a while. I think the whole of 2019 I didn't even look at the bike.
Then lockdown 2020 hit and it was the only way I could get exercise in due to body limitations stopping me from running.

I'd just go on whole new routes just to see what wacky names would pop up when I got back and uploaded the ride.
Some pretty funny ones out there.
I once forgot to restart my ride after stopping at the shops. When I realised, I started recording again. On uploading the ride I had a few KOMS. I just marked the ride as private, that way the ride doesn't appear on the leaderboards.
Sounds like this stopping and starting lark can cause a bit of trouble. I have mine set to auto-pause so it auto-restarts but I guess not everyone does it auto.
If you link to the segment and tell us which position is questionable we can take a look.
I reported it, they removed it, though I can see it's still on her profile which is fair enough. All good in the end.
While I am competitive, there'll be others who take this quite seriously and some of those KOMs likely wont have been too happy with it. Aside from that, it just wasn't right. So it worked out in the end.

@Two-Wheels

Welcome, you will either get used to the self righteous brigade or decide not to bother posting again.

FWIW I see many questionable Strava times, so now I just judge against my own previous times, at least I know they are correct, slow but correct!
Honestly, it'll take a lot more than that to shoo me off. Been there, dealt with that. It's old news. It's just part & parcel of communicating via the internet really.

Same as you though, I compete against myself. I waited to see how long I kept at cycling before I spent some serious money and went & bought a Wahoo Roam in the end. It now helps me to compete against myself, know where various segments actually start and end rather than guessing and I've been shaving my PBs down so i'm happy enough with what I do.

D

Deleted member 1258

Do people really trawl through other riders Strava data and pick it apart like this? Geez life's too short.

I'm not ageist or sexist but........which isn't why you went through it all in detail.

I'm glad I don't use it.

D

Deleted member 1258

I do (to keep a record of my own rides) but I don't trawl through strangers' rides looking for erroneous recording

I just use a spreadsheet on my computer to record where I've been and how far I've travelled, I've got a basic cycle computer on my bike.

Top Bottom