Caution - Aldi cycle shoes (MTB type)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Seems to me that you did not tighten to the correct torque nor did you use any Loctite, poor maintenance not poor shoes. Mine by the way have done about 5,000 miles without problems, in fact the only problem I have is that they are more comfortable than my m236 shoes.

OP
OP
Garz

Garz

Squat Member
So we have 3 against and 2 for so far, i would say hardly compelling evidence.

This incident was more of a scare and dangerous so I am sharing the experience than trying to rubbish the shoes. I'm willing to give all gear a go as I'm not a bike snob, however from this experience I am just saying that the value shoes are now a no go area for me.

Seems to me that you did not tighten to the correct torque nor did you use any Loctite, poor maintenance not poor shoes. Mine by the way have done about 5,000 miles without problems, in fact the only problem I have is that they are more comfortable than my m236 shoes.

That my friend is bollocks. You should not have to loctite any equipment otherwise you have no confidence in it in the first place! Then there's that word you mentioned.. "Maintenance" - you cannot maintain them if you have super-glued them :banghead:

Given that the OP had ridden a few miles ,O:FF had done over a thousand and i had done many thousands would show that they can sustain many unclips so i find your post a bit confusing unless of course you are suggesting we have left the shoes attatched to the bike and track stand at junctions?

I thought I was being clear enough. If you ride 100 miles in a single ride, you may only unclip once per ride. If you commute 10 miles each way, every day, stopping at junctions, lights, etc, you will unclip many more times for the same distance. That is why I said that the actual distance ridden is irrelevant, because it is.

Norm

I thought I was being clear enough. If you ride 100 miles in a single ride, you may only unclip once per ride. If you commute 10 miles each way, every day, stopping at junctions, lights, etc, you will unclip many more times for the same distance. That is why I said that the actual distance ridden is irrelevant, because it is.
And I thought that CK was being clear enough. Whilst it is possible that people have different trip lengths, it is pretty much irrelevant to raise that as a potential factor when considering one pair of shoes which has done a handful of journeys and another which has done over 7,000 miles.

And I thought that CK was being clear enough. Whilst it is possible that people have different trip lengths, it is pretty much irrelevant to raise that as a potential factor when considering one pair of shoes which has done a handful of journeys and another which has done over 7,000 miles.

I didn't raise the issue of distance - someone else did. I merely pointed out that distance is (in this context, at least) irrelevant. Which it is.

Norm

Oh dear, I am really going to have to make this simple, aren't I?

Do you have a counter on your computer which tells you how many times you have unclipped?
Do you know the average distance between unclips for Garz, oldfatfool or Cyberknight?
Do you think there is any chance that Garz has unclipped more frequently in his "handful of rides" than oldfatfool did over 1,000 miles or Cyberknight did in his 7 - 8,000 miles?
Do you have a history of popping up just to take cheap shots and stir crap?

I would suggest that you can only answer "Yes" to one of the above questions.

look, I'm happy to argue with you - but first I need to know which of my comments on this thread you are disagreeing with? Go back and have a look, then let me know....

Hector

This incident was more of a scare and dangerous so I am sharing the experience than trying to rubbish the shoes. I'm willing to give all gear a go as I'm not a bike snob, however from this experience I am just saying that the value shoes are now a no go area for me.

That my friend is bollocks. You should not have to loctite any equipment otherwise you have no confidence in it in the first place! Then there's that word you mentioned.. "Maintenance" - you cannot maintain them if you have super-glued them :banghead:

Using blue loctite is pretty much standard when torqueing up components on a bike.

Using blue loctite is pretty much standard when torqueing up components on a bike.

I'm happy to say that I don't have blue (or any other colour) loctite on any of my bikes, or shoes. Never have... :smile:

Hector

Seeing as how the twisting action on a shoe is what causes it to fail, I'd say it is fairly relevent in how may times you've clipped and unclipped. Although having said that the cleats do need to have the correct amount of torque applied.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've probably done 7,000+ miles in my ALDI 'Crane' type SPD shoes and have had no problems so far. The soles are starting to wear though so the cleats are now barely recessed but I reckon I will probably get about another 3,000 miles out of them.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I unclip most with the left foot and have only ever had a problem with a left cleat which lost a bolt. With SPD cleats losing a bolt is serious. I now loctite (TM) cleat bolts in. They don't have washers so are only as tight as you can get them. I don't think over-tightening is a good idea (stripping threads) on shoes, but loctite (R) (similar products maybe available) is.

I use loctite (C) wherever I don't have the option of putting washers.

lordloveaduck

Excuse me happy people, but isn't this just a case of S**t happens. Some people are lucky with the products they buy and some aren't.
I would never ever, no matter if i was hung by my nipples and spanked with a haddock, would i ever purchase a Dawes, whilst others would and have a problem free experiece with them.

Just Saying:whistle:

Just to say I use mine when commuting to work so 4 sets of lights and half a dozen junctions. Been on a few forum rides in them which are fairly stop start affairs. Usually check the tightness of the bolts every week or so or every couple of long rides, and usually they will accept a 1/16 th of a turn or so, but the came can be said of my speedplay cleats on both PI and Spesh shoes.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom