Cav hanging up his wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I agree and also hope to be wrong. I just feel he is really pushing his luck at his age given there are some very fast youngsters emerging who will be very hungry for those wins.

Always a chance he gets in a breakaway that stays away. Would need sympathetic companions as they would all pretty much know he'll do them in the sprint!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Cav’s skill has always been knowing which wheels to surf, when to go etc. don’t underestimate the experience and skill he has.

DogmaStu

Cav’s skill has always been knowing which wheels to surf, when to go etc. don’t underestimate the experience and skill he has.

Morkov is his best chance.

The problem is that there are sprinters emerging who have a lot more power and who he'll struggle to get past even if on their wheel.

Cav has reached the point where power and skill also need a decent element of luck too to see him cross the line first at that level.

Still, he is a Champion who 'only' needs one win to achieve the legacy he obviously wants, so it is possible.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Morkov is his best chance.

The problem is that there are sprinters emerging who have a lot more power and who he'll struggle to get past even if on their wheel.

Cav has reached the point where power and skill also need a decent element of luck too to see him cross the line first at that level.

Still, he is a Champion who 'only' needs one win to achieve the legacy he obviously wants, so it is possible.
... and thats the rub.. if all the planets align.. just the one lucky break and he can get that one win.

tarric

Über Member
It's not always the fastest on paper that wins the sprints but the one who uses luck or experience to be in the right position at the right time.

People were saying that before the '21 Tour, and before this year's Giro!

I agree :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
People were saying that before the '21 Tour, and before this year's Giro!
And to a degree in 2016 when he was with Dimension Data

Thing is, it's possible to just keep saying "he's finished, he's too old, he's washed up" and inevitably you will be proved right at some point if he keeps on going.

tarric

Über Member
Well the weekend might give us a bit of a clue going into next year.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If he hadn't crashed out he may have gone through with the retirement but he got close this year.
Maybe only a dodgy gear from winning stage 7. Phillipsen also thought, apparently, (for a nano-second) that he could have gifted the stage to Cav!! :ohmy:

And if only he'd won the Champs stage when WVA pipped the true sprinters in 2021...

...ifs, buts and maybes!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Excellent interview with Cav on the Rich Roll podcast! He’s very frank in places and is very disarming. The only time he clams up is discussing the burglary, I wish RR hadn’t brought it up! Definitely worth a listen if you’re in a car for a long time over Christmas!

Top Bottom