Cavity Wall Insulation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We've done both our old house and our current one.

In our old house I noticed that it did keep in the summer heat more after we had it done (20+ years ago), so I assume it did the same in winter time.

Our current house we had it done in most of the walls apart from the bay where there isn't enough space, and we will do an alternative form of insulation at some point. Again I think it's made a slight difference, but since this one still has other problems to sort it will take a while.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
@Archie_tect, I'm not sure what you mean by "proper" Rockwool cavity fill. Clearly from the link you provided, Rockwool is a registered trademark, but is it also a generic product? The reason I ask is because there's an installer in my area advertising "Cosytherm Rockwool" and I'm not sure if this is the same thing or something else.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

In your experience, is there much difference between ROCKWOOL® (proper) and the generic Rockwool products?

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Update: Just had ROCKWOOL cavity wall insulation installed today for free :smile:

Due to the close proximity of one of our fences, a few of the holes had to be drilled from the inside and I was a bit surprised to see only a very thin skim of finishing plaster directly on the thermolite blocks.
20091657826_9b50c106b8.jpg

20109941122_6cbb60395a.jpg

Fingers crossed now that the warmer cavities will help with the pattern staining I mentioned in one of my previously posts in this thread.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Update: Just had ROCKWOOL cavity wall insulation installed today for free :smile:

Due to the close proximity of one of our fences, a few of the holes had to be drilled from the inside and I was a bit surprised to see only a very thin skim of finishing plaster directly on the thermolite blocks.
20091657826_9b50c106b8.jpg

20109941122_6cbb60395a.jpg

Fingers crossed now that the warmer cavities will help with the pattern staining I mentioned in one of my previously posts in this thread.
There is the reason for the pattern staining, no thickness of plaster.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

There is the reason for the pattern staining, no thickness of plaster.
I've changed my mind about the thickness of the plaster, overall I now think it's about 8mm.

I removed the skim over one of the thermolite block joints expecting to see the joint itself between the block, but all I could see was the plaster. I also made some holes over the joint and the drill travelled about 8mm through the soft plaster before it hit the harder mortar joint beneath
20185776972_6dea6e97b3_z.jpg

I then looked at one of the photos I took with my other camera (using flash) of the ROCKWOOL installation holes and I could see there did appear to be a layer of plaster over the thermolite block which looks quite similar in colour and texture to the thermolite block itself.
19571296184_94e8657ba7.jpg

Top Bottom