Cav's Worlds helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
What is it with Cav's helmet at the Worlds today? Looks like he forgot to take the cellophane off, you'd think his head would overheat.

I dare say there was some purpose to it aerodynamics :wacko:
x160.jpg

zizou

Veteran
All the British riders had the vents covered and wearing skinsuits too...all about marginal gains i guess

zacklaws

Guru
All the British riders had the vents covered and wearing skinsuits too...all about marginal gains i guess

Just had a look through a lot of the pics online, and I see only Cav had his helmet "vacuum wrapped" or whatever it was, Wiggins and Froome seemed to have a union jack hardcase cover and from what I see of Millar and Thomas they had no covering at all, don't know about the others though.

In fact, just twigged what it was all about, they must have banked on Cav winning, so planned on partying ASP afterwards and did not want there hair ruining to go out

MarkCavendishworlds_2657313.jpg

A few years ago Briko brought out a helmet called the "Twinner"

briko%20twinner.jpg

Basically a helmet with a second one on top

The concept that the outer helmet would be more aerodynamic without vents, and the gap between the two layers would cause sufficient airflow to cool through the vents on the inner layer. This relies on air being pulled through vents in the gap - the Venturi effect

Looking at the helmet on the TV it certainly looks high enough to be of this type of design, with vents beneath the outer clear layer but unless the back is visible then t is difficult to be certain

andrew_s

Legendary Member
marginal gains + sponsorship, innit.

He has to wear whatever type of helmet it is because of sponsorship deals, and that type doesn't have an aero cover available so they shrink wrapped it instead

adscrim

Veteran
Covering up holes in his helmet is not technically UCI legal, can't believe he was the only one that did it though.

I don't think taping up holes on a helmet would constitute a change to the design or form as described in the UCI rules. As for the helmet Mark Cavendish was wearing on Sunday, I would suggest the clear cover was designed for use with his helmet and wasn't just some cling film from the hotel kitchen.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
These might be a good winter option, I'm thinking warmer and dryer. Does anyone know where you can get them?
Other solid helmets look like WW2 rejects.

Covering up holes in his helmet is not technically UCI legal, can't believe he was the only one that did it though.

If I am right than he hasn't as with the twiner these are not vents, but channels, the vents are at the front for intake and at the back to produce the Venturi effect

zacklaws

Guru
Or another theory, he's forgotten his own helmet, got one from Argos and planned to take it back later for a refund so left the wrapper on.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
marginal gains + sponsorship, innit.

He has to wear whatever type of helmet it is because of sponsorship deals, and that type doesn't have an aero cover available so they shrink wrapped it instead

Often the case, but traditionally, if a rider doesnt want to wear the sponsor's item, they dont always HAVE to. Typically they get around it by branding another brands product up as the sponsors. A few years ago, Cadel Evans rode a bike the same as the PX stealth in the TdF TT one year, branded as a Ridley. Many riders including Lance Armstrong have done similar things with sadles, San Marco saddles branded up with the sponsors name.

Top Bottom