CC Ecosse Pedal for Cake Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Some hills will be good, yes, don't get me wrong.

Officially, I'll get to Bishopbriggs for the train.

EDIT: just googled it and Crow Road seems reasonable enough on the Street view map.

....Oh wait, I was looking at going easstwards, not westwards!! :biggrin:

I'm sure it'll be fine - it surely can't be worse than the Skyride Local one at the weekend there.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It's a hard hill if your not used to hill climbing. It rises about 1000 ft in a few miles and has some steep sections. The first time I tried it I had to stop three times on the way up. :wacko:

However, I don't want to put you off, and if you are up for a challenge then the Crow Road is a good challenge.

Have a look here. This is an old route I did when I lived in Anniesland, and I was training for my 100 miler (that included Crow Road). Look at the elevation profile. If that doesn't scare you then roll on Crow Road! :biggrin:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's a hard hill if your not used to hill climbing. It rises about 1000 ft in a few miles and has some steep sections. The first time I tried it I had to stop three times on the way up. :wacko:

However, I don't want to put you off, and if you are up for a challenge then the Crow Road is a good challenge.

Have a look here. This is an old route I did when I lived in Anniesland, and I was training for my 100 miler (that included Crow Road). Look at the elevation profile. If that doesn't scare you then roll on Crow Road! :biggrin:

Doesn't scare me but you may have to wait for me at the top
wacko.gif

I think I'll aim for Bishopbriggs as a start

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Looks like a good turn-out :biggrin:
I'll make an attempt at a list ... please edit! I seem to remember a few others expressing an interest, but that's definitely too many pages of reading back :smile:

Magnatom -starting from home @ Torrance, picking up people along the way
MadDougBiker - starting from Bishopbriggs or possibly Torrance
Mcshroom - Bishopbriggs
Scook - I can't remember the details :blush: but he fancies a hill or two thrown in
Scoosh - riding out from Edinburgh to meet the approaching peloton of westies and guide them to cake stop 1
Seamab - joining in via Kincardine Bridge or FRB - possibly meeting Scoosh on his way to meet the peloton at Dalmeny or Cramond Brig?
HLaB - setting off from Fife upon message from the peloton passing through Linlithgow (?) or joining in from FRB?
Goo Mason - joining @ cake stop 1; Mag sorting out his back problems on the way west :whistle:
HJ - joining in from cake stop 1
Telemark - joining in from cake stop 1
--------
10 cyclists

Sleekitcollie - would like to be visited by the peloton (one way or each way? ;) :hello: )
Jane Smart - would like to meet but no allowed to bring the bike (Winchburgh? - not even Winchburgh - Ed - Winchburgh? :cry: )
--------
2 who would like to cycle but aren't allowed

Coco - swithering - come on COCO! Haven't seen you in ages, or any of your new bikes :thumbsup:
-------
1 who COULD cycle but needs to be convinced :rolleyes:

Jimbhoy - bowling and eating cake elsewhere
--------
we'll let you off ;)

T

Looks like a good turn-out :biggrin:
I'll make an attempt at a list ... please edit! I seem to remember a few others expressing an interest, but that's definitely too many pages of reading back :smile:

HLaB - setting off from Fife upon message from the peloton passing through Linlithgow (?) or joining in from FRB?

T

I'll be setting off from Fife but hopefully I'll meet the peleton en route, somewhere near the Crammond Brig. My usual route come in by the B800 and Burnshot Road to Crammond.

sleekitcollie

guys ive been told im visiting family to show my war wounds off :blush: ( and welcome them home from australia ) . will be leaving winchburgh aprox 1pm , will u be in my area b4 then , prob not eh , if any of u guys doing the run pm me i will send my mobile number and if u will make it in time u could let me know thanx
ps feeling lot better today guys . movement in legs and back much less painfull :biggrin:

guys ive been told im visiting family to show my war wounds off :blush: ( and welcome them home from australia ) . will be leaving winchburgh aprox 1pm , will u be in my area b4 then , prob not eh , if any of u guys doing the run pm me i will send my mobile number and if u will make it in time u could let me know thanx
ps feeling lot better today guys . movement in legs and back much less painfull :biggrin:

Glad to here you are feeling better. According to Mags original program the Glasgow crowd will be through Whinchburgh well before 1PM and that's being revised for an earlier start from Torrance. If all goes well I may join them in Winch instead of Crammond.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...

That's great news!
I am sure the peloton will be whizzing past on it's way east well before 1 AM - unless they do a "go-slow" ride :thumbsup: .
Somehow I don't think we'll make it before 1 AM on the way west ...

That's great news!
I am sure the peloton will be whizzing past on it's way east well before 1 AM - unless they do a "go-slow" ride :thumbsup: .
Somehow I don't think we'll make it before 1 AM on the way west ...

1am, so its an early start then :tired:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Doesn't scare me but you may have to wait for me at the top
wacko.gif

I think I'll aim for Bishopbriggs as a start

Ditto and ditto!

There is a hill near to me called Carman Hill, which is F***ing STEEP with a capital F, but it doesn't last for very long (it conects Renton and Cardross) and it looks like I'll have to start training on it as part of some sort of circular route (lucky me!).

AND, here it is!:

Take a swatch at the gradient profile - 500 feet in just over a mile.

http://www.bikely.co...ath/Carman-Hill

A few weeks training on that and I'll have thighs like King Kong!!:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Ok Guys. How is this for a route to get to Edinburgh? (I'm still not sure of where we go at the Edinburgh end!). Taking in Crow Road does add a wee detour, but the ride along the Carron Valley is quite nice.

If you guys would rather take a flatter, more direct route that's fine by me. It's just a suggestion.

Oh and you'll probably find it is me that you will need to wait for at the top of Crow Road! I prefer shorter steeper climbs than the sustained climb that makes up most of Crow Road.

Actually, just looking at the map, there is another possible route with a hill. We could take a more direct route to Kilsyth and then head over Tak Ma Doon to Carron Bridge and then along from there. Tak ma Doon is another big hill. I personally find it a bit easier than Crow Road, although it does have a few killer sections in it.

It would be a shorter detour.:smile:

Ok Guys. How is this for a route to get to Edinburgh? (I'm still not sure of where we go at the Edinburgh end!). Taking in Crow Road does add a wee detour, but the ride along the Carron Valley is quite nice.

If you guys would rather take a flatter, more direct route that's fine by me. It's just a suggestion.

Oh and you'll probably find it is me that you will need to wait for at the top of Crow Road! I prefer shorter steeper climbs than the sustained climb that makes up most of Crow Road.

Actually, just looking at the map, there is another possible route with a hill. We could take a more direct route to Kilsyth and then head over Tak Ma Doon to Carron Bridge and then along from there. Tak ma Doon is another big hill. I personally find it a bit easier than Crow Road, although it does have a few killer sections in it.

It would be a shorter detour.:smile:

I've done that route once or twice IIRC the only slighty complicated (but not actually that complicated is Denny)

Me and Scoosh were talking about the Edinburgh leg today either he or me or both will be riding out to meet you on route and will guide you in.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I wonder if Mags is going to PM us the location of the other cake stop?? Or is he not telling us so that we don't leave him behind... ;)

Top Bottom