Scotland : Kingdom of Fife CC Ecosse Round The Forth Ride - Sat 15th Sept

Are you coming

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Ah, I can see them when I log out. Nice pics. So who was all there?

Fubar

Guru
My photos are up here - a grand day out with a nice bunch of lads, bit windy and I struggled the last 10 miles or so, thanks to Scoosh and Colin for seeing me home! Cheers everyone. Mark

Sorry didn't make it. Been looking after my wee boy all day. Looks like you all had fun though.
Wind is pretty brutal today. I always try cycle away from it. :laugh:
I lost a few KOM's on Strava today because the wind was blowing a gale in the right direction. The guys been trying for bloody ages too. Sigh. It should come up "wind assisted". :gun:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My first real ride for a full month :ohmy: turned out to be not quite as painfully windy as I had been anticipating, as Sleekitcollie led us through the Dundas Castle estate, then we opted to go down to have a wee keek at Blackness Castle (complete with some interesting 'native wildlife', just not native to Scotia AFAIK ;)) and back up :training: again. ^_^

Sleekit had to leave us in Bo'ness and we continued to battle the wind, fortunately mainly sheltered behind the hedges, until the final 500m on the far side of Grangemouth, where there was No Hiding Place. Once on the shared path to Kincardine Bridge, life became much more pleasant - the sun was out, the birds were singing ... (OK, not really, it just felt so much better with the wind at our backs ! :biggrin:) Not many people can say the really enjoyed cycling through Skinflats ... ;)

A fast run along to Culross and a great cafe stop allowed the weather to get a bit more threatening, with :rain: a real possibility, so Tug, who would have had a really hard slog back from the FRB decided common sense was the order of the day, so he split to head up to Alloa, leaving Col, Fubar and myself to cruise downwind towards Rosyth, via a pretty windy coastal path after Torryburn. The conditions being less good than the company, Col and Fubar took the earlier turn to Dunfermline and I continued over the FRB and back to my wheels.

Thanks to all who came along :bravo: and especially to Col for arranging the ride :wahhey:. It wasn't that bad, in the end ! :laugh:

Pedal pusher

Veteran
My first real ride for a full month :ohmy: turned out to be not quite as painfully windy as I had been anticipating, as Sleekitcollie led us through the Dundas Castle estate, then we opted to go down to have a wee keek at Blackness Castle (complete with some interesting 'native wildlife', just not native to Scotia AFAIK ;)) and back up :training: again. ^_^

Sleekit had to leave us in Bo'ness and we continued to battle the wind, fortunately mainly sheltered behind the hedges, until the final 500m on the far side of Grangemouth, where there was No Hiding Place. Once on the shared path to Kincardine Bridge, life became much more pleasant - the sun was out, the birds were singing ... (OK, not really, it just felt so much better with the wind at our backs ! :biggrin:) Not many people can say the really enjoyed cycling through Skinflats ... ;)

A fast run along to Culross and a great cafe stop allowed the weather to get a bit more threatening, with :rain: a real possibility, so Tug, who would have had a really hard slog back from the FRB decided common sense was the order of the day, so he split to head up to Alloa, leaving Col, Fubar and myself to cruise downwind towards Rosyth, via a pretty windy coastal path after Torryburn. The conditions being less good than the company, Col and Fubar took the earlier turn to Dunfermline and I continued over the FRB and back to my wheels.

Thanks to all who came along :bravo: and especially to Col for arranging the ride :wahhey:. It wasn't that bad, in the end ! :laugh:
Great report. The wind was brutal today. I couldn't make the morning with u guys so went out to dunfermline in the afternoon. 30 miles but the last 5 nearly killed me.

Get In The Van

Cheers for the report, chuckled at the Skinflats comment! :laugh: suprised you made it through with both wheels still on the bike!
work permitting, i'll hopefully get out for the next meet up

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My photos are up here - a grand day out with a nice bunch of lads, bit windy and I struggled the last 10 miles or so, thanks to Scoosh and Colin for seeing me home! Cheers everyone. Mark
Click on the photo #25 - and, on the left, you can see the 'native wildlife' being carried away .... :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 20519

Still never understood what she was doing with it :laugh:

Looking forward to the next ride but is it likely to have another one this year?

I would like to come on one before the roads get icy.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I would like to come on one before the roads get icy.
So would I :thumbsup:

We ended up doing a nice ride Saturday afternoon, straight from home (Edinburgh central-ish) east to Cousland (partly via the NCN1), onwards to Pathead & Crichton Castle (well worth seeing if you like ruins & history!), and then home via Gorebridge, Carrington & Eskbank ... discovered some lovely new (to us) lumpy wee roads with great views, hardly any traffic and surprisingly good surfaces ... almost exactly 60k (40-ish miles).

This route might not be a bad choice for a future CC ride, with a few tweaks ... especially to build in a cafe stop (we didn't come across any):bicycle:

A bit breezy, but mostly OK except for the most exposed places, which were hard work!

T

D

Deleted member 20519

Round Loch Katrine has been mentioned a few times, sounds like it would be a nice scenic 40-50 miles also :thumbsup:

I feel another thread coming on. It would be nice to have a ride before the dark nights and crappy weather kicks in.

Top Bottom