Scotland : Kingdom of Fife CC Ecosse Round the Forth - Sat 31st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
  • The Ride - Round The Forth (joining in where ever suits you)
  • Meeting Place - Fife side meet at Park and ride (Inverkeithing) around 10am, with the rest meeting at shell garage over the bridge around 10:30am
  • Route - Follow the NCN76 round the forth (80km-ish)
  • Terrain - As far as i remember there was no real hills on this route and was pretty flat
  • Ride Time - About 4 hrs, more with stops
  • Stops - Only stopped once last time in Culross but what a great cake stop it is :thumbsup:
ALL ARE WELCOME :wahhey:
Remember the 3 key rules of CC Ecosse Forum Rides:

NO ONE gets left behind
ANY BIKE will do
There WILL BE CAKE ! :hungry:

Here is a link to the route I did last time
http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/78180090

Edit:
Those attending:
1.Col5632
2.Pat "10"mph (Maybe) :laugh:
3.Heather68 (no backing out now)
4.MikeW-71 (Maybe)
5.Louch
6.Shooglydougie
7.Fubar
8. Garthur
9. GBC (social life taking priority :headshake: )
10. Harry_Palmer79 (maybe)
11. GlasgowFinn (in seperable ;) )
12. DougieAB (a maybe + 1)
13. jazloc (maybe ... just maybe ...)

Rasmus

Without a clever title
  • Terrain - As far as i remember there was no real hills on this route and was pretty flat

Careful with this! :laugh:

There's the Col de Longannet (which looks a lot worse on strava than I remember it being in reality) - and also the very short but steep climb on the cyclepath up to the main road just outside Rosyth.

Unfortunately I cannot make it on this date, as I will be away in the Yorkshire Dales (sadly not by bike).

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru

There's the Col de Longannet (which looks a lot worse on strava than I remember it being in reality) - and also the very short but steep climb on the cyclepath up to the main road just outside Rosyth.

Unfortunately I cannot make it on this date, as I will be away in the Yorkshire Dales (sadly not by bike).

Gutted you can't make it, it is a wee bit out of your way aswell although im sure you would have no trouble cycling to and from :laugh:

There is cake after that hill so that will spur people up it :thumbsup:

Just outside Rosyth, you should do the whole route in under an hour :rolleyes:

I won't be able to make this one, unfortunately, as we'll be in Aviemore that day. :cry:

Have a great ride and more importantly, lots of cake :hungry: !

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
May I suggest an alternative....I have found the roads on the cycle route south of the river to be quite busy. I am no good at mapping rides etc, so if this doesnt make sense I apologise

We meet at Queen Annes in Dunfermline again (with glasgows finest joining me from Alloa to cycle to the start). And we split into two groups for first half of the ride

Group one- (more road comfortable/ like a strava chase) Take the route South of the river, but go through Linlithgow, Madiston, Falkirk, Larbert and then back over the Clackmannanshire Bridge to the end of the cycle Path at Clackmannan ( decent speed(15mph avg?, minimal stops)

Group 2 - ( prefer a slower ride/ no to little traffic interaction)either along the cycle path or along through Culross etc, regrouping at clackmannan end of dunf cycle path.

when as a group, when then follow the Clackmannan to stirling cycle path to http://www.blairmains.com/coffee-bothy for some food and rest( id make this to be about 20 miles in( more for those who choose to cycle to the start)

for the ride back I was thinking along hillfoots , up through Caulnaughton, forestmill, Saline (big Bump) then down the road past queen annes and down hill to the start point(or train stations etc), or maybe all go the Culross road back.

Quite scenic,( castles, hills, monuments, my house) can avoid hills , has short cuts to cut short routes, lots of train stations for duck outs/ people to join part of the ride

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
unfortunately a definite no for me, previous engagement :sad:

T

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
May I suggest an alternative....I have found the roads on the cycle route south of the river to be quite busy. I am no good at mapping rides etc, so if this doesnt make sense I apologise

We meet at Queen Annes in Dunfermline again (with glasgows finest joining me from Alloa to cycle to the start). And we split into two groups for first half of the ride

Group one- (more road comfortable/ like a strava chase) Take the route South of the river, but go through Linlithgow, Madiston, Falkirk, Larbert and then back over the Clackmannanshire Bridge to the end of the cycle Path at Clackmannan ( decent speed(15mph avg?, minimal stops)

Group 2 - ( prefer a slower ride/ no to little traffic interaction)either along the cycle path or along through Culross etc, regrouping at clackmannan end of dunf cycle path.

when as a group, when then follow the Clackmannan to stirling cycle path to http://www.blairmains.com/coffee-bothy for some food and rest( id make this to be about 20 miles in( more for those who choose to cycle to the start)

for the ride back I was thinking along hillfoots , up through Caulnaughton, forestmill, Saline (big Bump) then down the road past queen annes and down hill to the start point(or train stations etc), or maybe all go the Culross road back.

Quite scenic,( castles, hills, monuments, my house) can avoid hills , has short cuts to cut short routes, lots of train stations for duck outs/ people to join part of the ride

I don't remember the roads being that busy tbh

Maybe post up your suggestion as well?

You cant of went the right way then the roads to the south are pretty quiet the only busier (but still not too busy) is the road to Grangemouth. If you are going anti clockwise straight after the ski slope (opposite the petrochem site) turn right up a short steep road and once you are at the top you are on a quiet road parallel to the main Bo'Ness Road. IIRC I took @edindave and friends that way. On the Northside its all quiet roads/ paths but the path from Elgin isn't the best condition and others are narrow so we avoided them and personally I preffer the new bridge purpose built cyclepath rather than the converted footpath through the structure of the old bridge. This is the route we took. Oh and the footbridge over the A/M876 was shut hence the diversion by Airth; if open and I hope it is now, you can cross directly to lanes east of Skinflats.

Top Bottom