Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley CC Ecosse - West from Weegie Central (Sat 29th Sept)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seamab

I'm going out to recon an old CC Ecosse route i've not done for a couple of years this Saturday 29th Sept.

It's approx 40miles. Starts at Breahead Xscape and heads out to Kilmacolm via Bridge of Weir road/Langbank then onto Lochwinnoch for a cafe stop. Return to Glasgow via cycle path/Houston (i'm a bit sketchy on this bit!). Probs about 3 hours cycling + cafe stop.

Weather looks set fair... so it better be.

If you want to join me (sorry about lack of notice) please do. I'm either going to leave Xscape at 10am or possibly cycle out there from the city centre at about 9.30am for 10am at Xscape. It can be a bit busy in the Renfrew area on a Sat afternoon when the local Div 3 football side are playing at home (but not this week).

There are a few hills here and there but nothing too bad (the bit up to Kilmacolm is the worst). I'll be on s/s

If it all goes well i'll set up a date for an October ride should there be any interest. In the past there was little interest from the Weegie fraternity (excepting JIMBR, VINEGA and COCO) - but there seems to be a few new faces from the West these days.

Col5632

Guru
I cant make this saturday but a ride in October sounds great :thumbsup:

Hawk

Veteran
The cycle path will take you in to Paisley very easily. From there, the path is more fragmented.

Houston and over the Erskine bridge is spectacular, then Dumbarton Road is an OK way back to Glasgow (not fantastic)

OP
OP
S

Seamab

Cheers Hawk. I was planning to stay on the south side of the river. There are some senic clydeside views near Langbank. On the way back, I'll exit the cycle path from Lochwinnoch just past Johnstone and rejoin the Bridge of Weir Rd via a kind of cycleway (path blocked to cars) which is somewhere nearby. I've missed it before and ended up on a circular round Houston which takes you back to the same road. Once i get going i'm sure i'll remember the roads...

Is there a cycle path along the southside to/from Braehead leading to Pacific Quay? Or do you have to cycle past the Sufferin' General and Govan?

Hawk

Veteran
Shared use path right on the entrance to Braehead, not much else (http://goo.gl/maps/ijAnn)

The Clyde Cycle Tunnel could be an idea then along past the Hydro/SECC and use the new bus-only road between city centre and SECC (cycling will apparently be banned on it once it's open but it's OK for now)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The vintage Humber arrived earlier, so I am going to spend tomorrow getting it sorted out (its in bits and needs restored. I want to get pictures of it so I can send them to the VCC Humber Marque so I can get it dated and find out exactly what it is before I even think about getting it seen too) and I also want to see to my other bikes (general maintenance) anyway.

Have a nice run!

GBC

Veteran
I'd be up for a run in October some time, but not the weekend of the 14th - we're heading over to Campbeltown for the MoKBike challenge.

I'll join you for a run in October - cant do tommorow or saturday mornings as I help at out at the Kids Cycle club.

Stu

OP
OP
S

Seamab

I think on the way out i'll go over the squinty bridge to Pacific Quay then via Govan as the traffic will be light (hopefully) and return on the North side via the Renfrew ferry and NCN to city centre. Looks a tad windy on the forecast but then it means a tailwind on the way back.

Stu - I can only do Glasgow on Saturdays i'm afraid.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Mrs Scoosh still nursing dislocated shoulder and greater tuberosity fracture and I've overcooked something in my right wrist, so not for me this week, I'm afraid. :sad:

Ride Safe :bicycle:

OP
OP
S

Seamab

I rode out from the city centre as planned into a strong headwind and came across a cycle path that goes by the river behind the Braehead shopping complex. I thought it would run down to the Renfrew ferry slip but no it just stops without warning!

I rode onwards as planned but at Langbank it started to drizzle and i struggled up the long climb and then struggled somemore on the hill up to Kilmacolm. I've not ridden the s/s much recently and it showed as i almost ground to a halt. The hills are worse than i remember. At Kilmacolm it started to rain and was miserable for a while on the lumpy road to Lochwinnoch. Definetly not a beginners ride.

At Lochwinnoch it dried up and i pressed on decided on a cafe stop at the finish. Now it was beginners territory - flat tarmaced cycle path with tailwind meant some swift progress. However, i missed the Linwood turnoff (heading for Moss Rd to rejoin Bridge of Weir Rd). I did see it but it didn't seem familiar. By the time i realised this i thought i'd just stick to NCN 7 to Pollok Park. This was fine until Paisley when the NCN becomes a PITA with constant barrier gates and numerous turnoffs onto back end streets with little warning. You know the script i'm sure... Once in Pollok Park the NCN signs dried up and i added an extra loop before finding the signs again ending up on the busy Drumbreck Rd with you guessed it - no more signs! NCN 7 is suppossed to take you to the city centre via the Bells Bridge. Having had enough NCN for the day i made my way to Govan/Pacific Quay again following the Science Museum signs with little problem and back to the city centre via the squinty bridge. The roads in this area were very quiet both times which surprised me?
So 56 miles all told (a few extra in Pollock Park) and generally speaking a nice route. Whether it is suitable as a CC Ecosse route i'm not sure but the Langbank bit could be bypassed by joining the cycle path at Quarriers village or Bridge of Weir and going up to Kilmacolm that way.

Garmin link to map of ride "http://connect.garmin.com/activity/228076550"

The only Oct dates i can make are the last two Saturdays of the month which i think are the 21st/28th. If there's sufficient interest i can start a new thread.

zizou

Veteran
I rode out from the city centre as planned into a strong headwind and came across a cycle path that goes by the river behind the Braehead shopping complex. I thought it would run down to the Renfrew ferry slip but no it just stops without warning!

I rode onwards as planned but at Langbank it started to drizzle and i struggled up the long climb and then struggled somemore on the hill up to Kilmacolm. I've not ridden the s/s much recently and it showed as i almost ground to a halt. The hills are worse than i remember. At Kilmacolm it started to rain and was miserable for a while on the lumpy road to Lochwinnoch. Definetly not a beginners ride.

At Lochwinnoch it dried up and i pressed on decided on a cafe stop at the finish. Now it was beginners territory - flat tarmaced cycle path with tailwind meant some swift progress. However, i missed the Linwood turnoff (heading for Moss Rd to rejoin Bridge of Weir Rd). I did see it but it didn't seem familiar. By the time i realised this i thought i'd just stick to NCN 7 to Pollok Park. This was fine until Paisley when the NCN becomes a PITA with constant barrier gates and numerous turnoffs onto back end streets with little warning. You know the script i'm sure... Once in Pollok Park the NCN signs dried up and i added an extra loop before finding the signs again ending up on the busy Drumbreck Rd with you guessed it - no more signs! NCN 7 is suppossed to take you to the city centre via the Bells Bridge. Having had enough NCN for the day i made my way to Govan/Pacific Quay again following the Science Museum signs with little problem and back to the city centre via the squinty bridge. The roads in this area were very quiet both times which surprised me?
So 56 miles all told (a few extra in Pollock Park) and generally speaking a nice route. Whether it is suitable as a CC Ecosse route i'm not sure but the Langbank bit could be bypassed by joining the cycle path at Quarriers village or Bridge of Weir and going up to Kilmacolm that way.

Garmin link to map of ride "http://connect.garmin.com/activity/228076550"

The only Oct dates i can make are the last two Saturdays of the month which i think are the 21st/28th. If there's sufficient interest i can start a new thread.

After you take the right at Houston to go to Langbank there are a couple of quiet roads you could take that bring you out at Kilmacolm which are a little less hilly and a little easier if riding s/s. Either West Glen Road or Kilallan Road (which has the best surface). Although joining the cycle path at Bridge of Weir is a good option too that stretch of the track is very pleasant to ride unlike the Paisley - Glasgow section

OP
OP
S

Seamab

Mrs Scoosh still nursing dislocated shoulder and greater tuberosity fracture and I've overcooked something in my right wrist, so not for me this week, I'm afraid. :sad:

Ride Safe :bicycle:

Sorry to hear the Scooshes have been in the wars. Heal quickly. Best wishes.

OP
OP
S

Seamab

After you take the right at Houston to go to Langbank there are a couple of quiet roads you could take that bring you out at Kilmacolm which are a little less hilly and a little easier if riding s/s. Either West Glen Road or Kilallan Road (which has the best surface). Although joining the cycle path at Bridge of Weir is a good option too that stretch of the track is very pleasant to ride unlike the Paisley - Glasgow section

I did notice a left turn off the Langbank road signed for West Glen Road. Which one is the Kilallan Road?

Top Bottom