CC Ecosse (West) ride - Sat 19th Jan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

I'd be up for the ride, any date after the 12th is good for me.

Col5632

Guru
How about 16th Feb?

OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
is it a tough climb?

A challenge, but not really tough. First there's a long slog through Maryhill and Bearsden. The climb itself then consists of two decently steep, but fairly short, sections, with a downhill/flat bit in between.

GBC

Veteran
Sounds good and I hope to be there. A bit concerned about my legs after the last outing though, so I've got a lumpy 25 miler planned for tomorrow to see what happens.

I've been playing about with routes on the south of Glasgow and came up with this one. It could be done either way round with Eaglesham being the obvious starting place. Hairmyres rail station is about 2 miles away and there is plenty of car parking in Eaglesham itself.
It's quite a long route, 90km with 1300mtrs of climbing so probably best left until there's a bit more daylight. I've never cycled south of the A71 before, so if anyone has any knowledge of that part, and a suitable place for a cake stop:mrpig: , Muirkirk possibly,please let us know.

I've been playing about with routes on the south of Glasgow and came up with this one.
That link hasn't worked (it links to a file on your machine), but I can guess roughly what kind of route it is based on it being called the Muirkirk Circular and starting/ending at Eaglesham.

I've never cycled south of the A71 before, so if anyone has any knowledge of that part, and a suitable place for a cake stop:mrpig: , Muirkirk possibly,please let us know.
I've been down to Muirkirk a few times (last time was the 5th Jan) and the back road from Loudoun Hill to the Strathaven->Muirkirk road is pretty scenic, and the Strathaven->Muirkirk road itself is also relatively quiet and scenic.

I didn't see anything resembling a suitable cake stop in Muirkirk, although there is a Co-op if desperation kicks in...
So long as the route doesn't go onto the A70 for more than a mile I'm quite content. I've found myself hating that road every single time I've ridden it - slow tarmac, no verges, fast traffic, quite exposed and usually has the prevailing wind rushing up it.

Cheers
Ed

Reactions: GBC

GBC

Veteran
Sorry about the link,
muirkirk%20circular.htm

It was actually a Memory Map file, which I have attached before, but damned if I can remember how. Any tips would be good:blush:

Muirkirk.jpg

routemap.bmp

muirkirk%20circular.htm

GBC

Veteran
I didn't see anything resembling a suitable cake stop in Muirkirk, although there is a Co-op if desperation kicks in...
So long as the route doesn't go onto the A70 for more than a mile I'm quite content. I've found myself hating that road every single time I've ridden it - slow tarmac, no verges, fast traffic, quite exposed and usually has the prevailing wind rushing up it.

It's only about 3km Ed, then turn off to Sorn and Galston, up to the A77 and then over the Eaglesham Moor Road. The A719 isn't a bundle of laughs, but I've never really had a problem on it.

George.

glasgowjim

Über Member
Spot on Ed. I would hope their would be somewhere to stop between Muirkirk, Sorn, Galston. I'll check it out nearer the time.

You'll find a nice cafe in Galston, left at the roundabout if coming from Muirkirk, and it's on the right hand side and looks a bit like an old church.

Reactions: GBC
Top Bottom