CC Eerie Rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Just a thought.

Last night djtheglove, Radius & I took a reccie ride to Gravesend and to put in another 50 miler to keep up the fire between rides.
All was fine until we left Dartford when a thick rolling mist descended around us and cutting visibility down to about 200yds.

Although we all had working lights we took to the cycle routes until we hit Swanscombe, the going was good but it was very spooky, streetlight being refracted through the trees and all sounds being muffled.
So thick was the mist that we cycled past the enormous, neon blue lit 'crashed flying saucer' that is the Bluewater shopping center, without knowing it was there at all!:laugh:

DSC00314.jpg

Damp and getting cold, the three of us repaired to 'The Sun' pub in Swanscombe who welcomed us warmly, stored our bikes in their yard and lavished us with fizzy pop, crisps and a 'Twax', a chocolate and caramel covered biscuit(djtg ©)for the return journey.
A proper Kent pub!!

So the upshot of this is, is it possible to organise a really spooky night ride?

Any ideas you lovely lot?:smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
what a great idea, I'd be up for that, maybe even theme it, ie a tour of rural churchyards...I like it

On our return from Southend on Friday morning, the cashier in Asda's petrol station asked if I was one of them cyclists who stopped in *******(can't remember where she said but we were in downtown Basildon at the time) "it was really spooky seeing all these lights and people standing around..."

Strange, but not spooky was cycling over the big scale road graphics by J31. A tour of the M25 immediately sprang to mind!:laugh:

Radius

SHREDDER
Good ride that, but I think we'll have to find an equivalent 'cat' that predicts mist in order to arrange these properly :?:

When I worked at the Dairycrest plant out the other side of Telford, I used to commute at all sorts of odd hours back to Wolverhampton. I remember coming down the road from Shifnal to Wolverhampton one November morning at around 3.30. There must have been a hunting kennels somewhere near, and it must have been feeding time because as I cycled past in the pitch dark the most unearthly howling started up. I never went up that hill faster, it sounded like all the hounds of Hell were on my tail.:?:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'd be up for a spooky ride too. Ianrauk of these very forums leads a good ride out to Pluckley (the "Most Haunted Village in Kent") but I've not heard of him doing it at night.

Yet.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
That was a good ride that, only just started recovering from the hot pace that young Jack set, ;) my gad hes become a lot faster than when I first met him on the bleak midwinter ride! He glides along silently too, must be all that bike maintenance he's been 'apparently' doing!;)

What I really found spooky about the ride was that, everytime we came to a new stretch of road I was convinced it was a downhill only for it to turn out to be another uphill this seemed to happen both going and coming!:biggrin:

Have realised Tdr1nka is the spin Doctor of cycle chat, the way his legs fly around in a blur almost constantly!

Good ride and must be done again.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
tdr1nka said:
I am the king of cadence.:evil:

To be fair we did the ride late on a Bank Holiday with little traffic, I'm not sure how much fun some of those roads would be with more traffic.:biggrin:

I like it, sounds like you have your own little world going on there!:angry:

I reckon I could be enticed on that ride again just for another visit to that pub that apparently never shuts!! For more of the barmaids Twax which apparently we ate all of!!!

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
djtheglove said:
I like it, sounds like you have your own little world going on there!:evil:

My own little world that spins faster than everyone elses?:angry:

djtheglove said:
I reckon I could be enticed on that ride again just for another visit to that pub that apparently never shuts!! For more of the barmaids Twax which apparently we ate all of!!!

Ahh yes, our second home.:angry:
Did we really clean out the barmaids 'Twax'?:biggrin:

Top Bottom