CC planking challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to do chin ups with my palms gripping away from my body and also facing my body. I used a fingerboard at the climbing wall m that was set on a metal frame sticking out from the wall such that you can grip it anyway. I was a skinny but strong climber back then. Complete with forearms that bulged with veins when "pumped"! Now I'm 4 stone heavier now but right in the middle of the healthy BMI range. When climbing I was underweight but still strong.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I used to do chin ups with my palms gripping away from my body and also facing my body. I used a fingerboard at the climbing wall m that was set on a metal frame sticking out from the wall such that you can grip it anyway. I was a skinny but strong climber back then. Complete with forearms that bulged with veins when "pumped"! Now I'm 4 stone heavier now but right in the middle of the healthy BMI range. When climbing I was underweight but still strong.

I was a County standard Gymnast once....

Fab Foodie

Not from Rutland are you? Or a similarly small under populated county.

Tsk, cheeky!

On a similar vein though, I once won a trophy (my only sporting trophy) when I rode at DPCC with @matticus - it was based on an annual points tally for 1st, 2nd, 3rd for our weekly 'Aussie Pursuits' training event. One year the weather was continually appalling - I amassed the most points in the club not by virtue of speed or ability but because very few people turned-up week after week to race in the rain!
You gotta be in it to win it!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Tsk, cheeky!

On a similar vein though, I once won a trophy (my only sporting trophy) when I rode at DPCC with @matticus - it was based on an annual points tally for 1st, 2nd, 3rd for our weekly 'Aussie Pursuits' training event. One year the weather was continually appalling - I amassed the most points in the club not by virtue of speed or ability but because very few people turned-up week after week to race in the rain!
You gotta be in it to win it!
Black Country Mini Olympics, Mini Rugby winners trophy, 1970-something. I'm not entirely sure which year because the bit with the writing on it fell off. But I still have it.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’ve been plagued by lower back pain for a while and often what feels like nerve pain on the right hand side. Mrs JtB therefore suggested I improve my core with “sit-ups” but I found I can’t actually sit-up without anchoring my feet to the floor. According to a few websites I subsequently found, one reason for this is poor core strength and “planking” was suggested as an alternative core exercise. I’ve therefore been doing this for a couple of weeks and can manage just over 1 minute 30 seconds. But I think the stopwatch on my mobile phone runs slow because it feels more like 10 minutes. 😩

Fab Foodie

I’ve been plagued by lower back pain for a while and often what feels like nerve pain on the right hand side. Mrs JtB therefore suggested I improve my core with “sit-ups” but I found I can’t actually sit-up without anchoring my feet to the floor. According to a few websites I subsequently found, one reason for this is poor core strength and “planking” was suggested as an alternative core exercise. I’ve therefore been doing this for a couple of weeks and can manage just over 1 minute 30 seconds. But I think the stopwatch on my mobile phone runs slow because it feels more like 10 minutes. 😩

Recently had lower back pain which became severe leg pain during a ride. Trapped nerve, very painful and now slowly receding. Just in case, go see a Doc or a very good physio - just in case it develops like mine suddenly has. No fun....

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

BMI below 18, wow 😮

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord

I started off struggling to hold 30 seconds, this last few days I can now manage just over 2 minutes. Also, for the first time in years I’m starting to see a very noticeable improvement in my lower back pain. Today was the first time I can remember in ages when I got up in the morning without ANY lower back pain. I still need to be careful how I sit so as not to tire my lower back, but this exercise is definitely making a difference. I’m hoping now I can start to extend my distances on the bike because for many years my time in the saddle has been severely limited by the lack of strength in my lower back.

Top Bottom