CC planking challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Let's see how long you can hold the plank for. Body straight in the position shown below. Most should be able to manage a least a minute. I'm sure @Drago will go 2. @Dave7 at least have a go. I can do 1:15.
Come along, no cheating now.

View attachment 684017

@Cycleops , you look exactly how I imagined.

Just barely made it the minute before giving up. The shakes had set in by about 10 seconds!

Surely there are better ways to improve core strength than planking?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I managed to do 1 minute this evening. I'm sure that my posture was nowhere near as perfect as that of the woman in the photo... I was concentrating on not collapsing and wasn't thinking about keeping my back absolutely parallel to the ground etc!

I was starting to get a bit wobbly towards the end of that minute but I reckon I might have managed another 10 or 15 seconds if I had really pushed myself.

The toes on my stockinged feet kept slipping on my carpet, which didn't help. My other problem was timing myself on a clock which I had to turn to look at. If I try again I will use a timer on my phone directly below my face.

Yes - it is a surprisingly tough exercise!

CXRAndy

Guru
Ever tried the version where you have a roller in your hands and extend out as far as possible then draw yourself back into piked position.

The toughest exercise I've ever attempted

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Carrying a bit of a hip injury so had to stop at 1m 47s as the hip was hurting too much.

Not too bad for a 66 year old - think I could do better without the hip injury.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A minute was fine. I do 120 press-ups a day, though. Started on chin-ups now - target is 20 reps. I can do 5 at the moment - they are quite unbelievably hard, especially if you're middle-aged and not a racing snake.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Started on chin-ups now - target is 20 reps. I can do 5 at the moment - they are quite unbelievably hard, especially if you're middle-aged and not a racing snake.
Oh, that reminds me...

I have a chin/dip station which was always a bit too low for me - my hands would be a few cms above the bar when I reached up, so when coming down from a chin-up my feet would end up back on the floor unless I bent my legs. I found some breeze blocks and raised the station high enough that the bar is a good stretch to reach now.

The problem now is that my shoulders never healed properly from rotator cuff injuries. I will have to be very careful not to make them worse. I think if I build up very slowly the chin-ups might help.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I modified a double-ended one (stupid - who has two walls precisely 1.07m apart?) to work with one wall. I did the beam calculations and it would be nowhere near strong or stiff enough as a pure cantilever, but the chain makes it a beam.

The three fixings are enormous M10 anchor bolts.

It's quite high - I have to go on tiptoe to grab it.

20230401_171210.jpg

I modified a double-ended one (stupid - who has two walls precisely 1.07m apart?) to work with one wall. I did the beam calculations and it would be nowhere near strong or stiff enough as a pure cantilever, but the chain makes it a beam.

The three fixings are enormous M10 anchor bolts.

It's quite high - I have to go on tiptoe to grab it.

View attachment 684348

I've still got all the sheets with the formulae and stress diagrams for various different types of beam. Ah, the remembered joys of being an engineering undergraduate LOL

Top Bottom