CCrs.....unite against burglars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
What crafty burglars tricks can you warn others about
AND
If possible how to combat them.
eg I just read about a case were the householder found kidney beans** sprinkled on the doorstep.
An ex bobby told her they will do that then keep a check for 2 days to see if they have been cleaned up.........if not they feel sure you are away and the coast is clear to break in.
** no idea why kidney beans......maybe thats what was handy.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I'd heard about that one, always make sure I move anything strange looking. The cats round us must be staking me out because I'm always finding their little messages near the front door!

The Nation Union of Burglars has a standard series of pictograms:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I once read an article by an ex-con that he got jobs as an ice cream vendor so that he could 'case the joints' he wanted to burgle. I'm not suggesting that all ice cream sellers are potential burglars, just relating a story:okay:.

Tricks I use for days away:

Put the washing machine on a long cycle, it sounds like you're in.
Timer lights, timed to go on/off in different rooms (place them near the window).

You could try a 'TV simulator' :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcJzxLBpIQE

They simulate flickering lights so people think you're in.

Tenkaykev

Guru
What crafty burglars tricks can you warn others about
AND
If possible how to combat them.
eg I just read about a case were the householder found kidney beans** sprinkled on the doorstep.
An ex bobby told her they will do that then keep a check for 2 days to see if they have been cleaned up.........if not they feel sure you are away and the coast is clear to break in.
** no idea why kidney beans......maybe thats what was handy.
Sounds a bit “ Urban myth “
Burglars carrying around tin openers and cans of beans. The few articles ive seen are all a bit circular, referring to each other and some Welsh PCSO who said to contact the Ploice if people are concerned.
EDIT:
I see that I misspelled “ Police “ the misspelling however reminds me of my Brummie accent Before I moved to Dorset 😁

Tenkaykev

Guru
Isn't that what Brummies call them?
Haha.. cross posted, see my edit 😂

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The Nation Union of Burglars has a standard series of pictograms:

View attachment 604829
I'm pretty sure that list has been debunked. Most of those marks are used by councils or utility companies prior to doing work on the road, for example; the circle with a cross through appeared in several places down my street recently to mark where our new streetlights were going.

Sorry to be a spoilsport. ;)

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I remember once being told to be careful not to leave spades easily accessible in your garden, as they are the opportunistic burglar's preferred tool for levering open windows.

Top Bottom