CCrs.....unite against burglars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My neighbours do not even close their door often to allow parcel deliveries to be left inside. My door is only locked if I am away from home. We are a nosey lot around here and anything dodgy would be observed.
The area used to be known as Nappy Valley but is now Costa Geriatrica so there is always somebody observing.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm pretty sure that list has been debunked. Most of those marks are used by councils prior to doing work on the road, for example; the circle with a cross through appeared in several places down my street recently to mark where our new streetlights were going.

Sorry to be a spoilsport. ;)
Yale Security seem to think otherwise,
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/839462/burglar-signs-symbols-home-security

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Not that Yale have any vested interest in getting people worried about security... :whistle:

As others have said, the bit I don't get is this:

"The markings are used by burglars to communicate with each other and let each other know which properties are easiest to break in to, and which should be avoided."

Why? Why would a burglar want to broadcast anything to help other burglars? It's not like they're in a trade union or anything...

What crafty burglars tricks can you warn others about
AND
If possible how to combat them.
eg I just read about a case were the householder found kidney beans** sprinkled on the doorstep.
An ex bobby told her they will do that then keep a check for 2 days to see if they have been cleaned up.........if not they feel sure you are away and the coast is clear to break in.
** no idea why kidney beans......maybe thats what was handy.
interesting, but surely this means they could be caught on a camera of the householder or a neighbour, doing the bean stuff, giving the cops a handy watch list? While dropping kidney beans probably isn't a specific offence I can't think of any reasonable explanations for it.

Reactions: C R
Why? Why would a burglar want to broadcast anything to help other burglars? It's not like they're in a trade union or anything...
excellent point - and if as bitchy as any other clique they could do the sprinkling somewhere they knew there was a pack of rabid dogs - leaving the prime targets for themselves.

Reactions: C R

Tenkaykev

Guru
I’m old enough to have seen a lot of these articles come round a few times, each time with a different slant to suit the current paranoia. The lady who picks up the hitchhiker/ serial killer, the random act of kindness to a foreign looking person ( insert nationality according to current bogeyman) who then advises against boarding a specific airplane/ train / bus which is then bombed, the theatre tickets posted through the letterbox as a “ thank you “ from someone for some transgression, you then get burgled whilst at the theatre.

Top Bottom