CCrs.....unite against burglars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
That’s really odd. The backup battery on my alarm / security cameras wouldn’t last long without mains power. Also, if the house is left empty in winter the central heating needs to be left on low to prevent pipes from bursting.
I think they're trying to tell me that I'm not insured if I leave my house empty for more than a certain number of days. In your situation you would be in a lose/lose situation.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think they're trying to tell me that I'm not insured if I leave my house empty for more than a certain number of days.

All the policies I've bought over the years had such a condition.

From memory, the question is something like: "Will the property be unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days?"

I suspect the idea is to cover the policyholder's big annual holiday, usually two or at most three weeks.

Seems reasonable because the longer a house is left empty the more likely it is someone minded to burgle it will notice.

New developments have this problem, usually with the boiler, although I've seen cases of copper pipes being ripped out of new builds.

Many developers finish the house, including the boiler to make sure everything works, then remove the boiler and only refit it when the house is sold.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
All the policies I've bought over the years had such a condition.

From memory, the question is something like: "Will the property be unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days?"

I suspect the idea is to cover the policyholder's big annual holiday, usually two or at most three weeks.

Seems reasonable because the longer a house is left empty the more likely it is someone minded to burgle it will notice.
Mine too, my original comment though was in relation to having “to turn the electric off if absent for more than a certain number of days”.

Reactions: C R

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Going back to the OP, I agree that tales of signs left for fellow burglars are mostly urban myths.

I've known of several instances where residence is established by the simple expedient of tapping on the front door.

If it's answered, the burglar will mumble some excuse along the lines of asking for a glass of water or asking for someone by name who they know doesn't live there.

I have seen a handful of cases in which a window cleaner was suspected of providing intelligence.

Camera doorbells and cctv is so cheap these days that I would look at that. Especially if your neighbour hasnt got any of this - if you have a choice of two houses and one has cameras - which would you investigate ?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
How long will that last for?
Sounds like a fire risk to me - I'd never leave anything running when out.
Our m/c went on fire once. Solenoid failed to let water in but continued to heat. Speaking to a Fire Brigade officer he said it was not uncommon for them to catch fire.

There was a 'thing' a while ago where taxi drivers (clearly only some) were being paid to tell some burglars when they took a family to the airport
They chatted to the family on the way and found out how long they would be away

I haven;t heard of it for a while - apparently the Police started looking at who the taxi driver was after there was a spate of these in one area

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not our @Accy cyclist , surely?
Tut tut! How low of some window cleaners to aid and abet crime! 🧐 Having said that, i came across quite a few cannabis 'farms' in my 14/15 years up and down ladders. Was i aiding and abetting crime by not reporting cannabis cultivation to the plod?🤔 On one occasion the householder of one such farm seemed to think i might grass (excuse the pun) him up,so he gave me a big bag of what he described as purple haze to buy my silence. Man, it just kinda blew my mind!!!:wacko: :crazy:

Top Bottom