CCTV sticker design

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Is anyone interested in designing a CCTV on bikes sticker in the same sort of way the Give Cyclists Room sticker was designed? So many of us now have bike cams, and I reckon it would be nice to be able to point to a sticker on our saddlebag/pannier/courier bag/tailbox.

All the stickers I've seen out there are too big for bike use, I think.

I agree it would be a good idea. I'm not entirely sure where I would put it though as I wear a rucksack which sometimes has a raincover over it. Where would you want to place the sticker Mike?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'd want two, one on my saddlebag on the fixed, and one on my 'bent tailbox. You could always put one sticker on your rucksack, and one on the raincover?

So here are the questions I'm thinking of:
Should the CCTV be hiviz?
How large? I think it needs to be reasonably small, which will reduce the chances of overtaking drivers seeing it. My main goal would be drivers sitting behind you waiting to overtake, or drivers in the queue with you.
Colour - I guess the std yellow/black is an easy answer here.
Design - there are a few standard recogniseable images out there. I wonder if it should include a youtube mention though? *Evil*

BentMikey said:
I'd want two, one on my saddlebag on the fixed, and one on my 'bent tailbox. You could always put one sticker on your rucksack, and one on the raincover?

So here are the questions I'm thinking of:
Should the CCTV be hiviz?
How large? I think it needs to be reasonably small, which will reduce the chances of overtaking drivers seeing it. My main goal would be drivers sitting behind you waiting to overtake, or drivers in the queue with you.
Colour - I guess the std yellow/black is an easy answer here.
Design - there are a few standard recogniseable images out there. I wonder if it should include a youtube mention though? *Evil*

How about 'Pass too close video of you will end up on the internet, youtube!' :rolleyes:

sheddy

Legendary Member
You've been Framed ?
Seriously though, I seem to remember that the Give Cyclist Room sticker took many iterations before the C+ forum came up with the final wording. It needs to be snappy and without misinterpretation

Arch

Married to Night Train
"CCTV on Board"?

Although I suspect people might think that was a lie, because they'd think CCTV meant a big camera up on a tall pole. How about "Helmetcam on board". I think most people have the nouse to know what a helmetcam is...

Although that's not so good if you carry in on the handlebars...:rolleyes:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
There are actually issues around the Data Protection Act here, and if people are going to start going around in an organised manner and systemmatically collecting, storing and displaying video images like this, you may find that sooner or later you end up being taken to court under the act (I am not sure that you'd be found guilty, but it's certainly an area that hasn't yet been tested in court as far as I know). The question is whether you should be considered like an operator of a conventional CCTV system, in which case you would have to display your phone number and be able to provide copies of the video to anyone who was captured on your camera who requested them...

Flying_Monkey said:
There are actually issues around the Data Protection Act here, and if people are going to start going around in an organised manner and systemmatically collecting, storing and displaying video images like this, you may find that sooner or later you end up being taken to court under the act (I am not sure that you'd be found guilty, but it's certainly an area that hasn't yet been tested in court as far as I know). The question is whether you should be considered like an operator of a conventional CCTV system, in which case you would have to display your phone number and be able to provide copies of the video to anyone who was captured on your camera who requested them...

I always thought that if you were filming in the public domain that you were fine. Is that not the case?

andygates

Cab said:
"SMILE: You're on You Tube!"

Works for me!

It's not the recording, or the being-told-off-by-the-lower-orders that's intimidating. It's the thought that it might circulate among his mates (or boss!) that could put a chill on some w@nkers :rolleyes:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
magnatom said:
I always thought that if you were filming in the public domain that you were fine. Is that not the case?

I don't know. That's the thing. Technically, if you are systematically filming and then storing images of other people, then you could be challenged under the act. If you advertise the fact that this is what you're doing, it's even more likely that sooner or later someone will challenge you. I'm not saying that you are in contravention of any law as this is a relatively new problem which, to my knowledge, has never been tested. On the one end is the law regarding what you can and can't do in public (and photography is generally included in this) and at the other end is the use of CCTV cameras in public space (which is regulated only to the extent that you have to have signage indicating who is doing the watching and a contact so that people can exercise their rights to obtain footage). Now, it gets complicated because CCTV was only really ever envisaged as a static thing. However, the law seems to apply to mobile CCTV cameras operated by the police for example, and no-one ever really anticipated the massive rise in private surveillance (for personal safety and public education) in the way that Magnatom and others are doing it.

I will take the advice of my learned friends in data protection law, annd get back to you.

Top Bottom